Working under direct supervision, the Research Associate II performs routine and increasingly complex laboratory tasks and procedures and develops technical expertise in one or more areas relevant to research projects. The Research Associate II will participate in research activities involving all aspects of the research process, to include, but not limited to: investigation, technical, testing/validation of results, and report findings. The Associate will perform a variety of routine experimental protocols aid procedures to support the objectives of laboratory research projects. The Associate will observe and comply with safety standards and procedures, assist in preparation of data for publication and/or presentation at scholarly meetings, and assist in general laboratory maintenance. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities, but may train Research Lab Assistants or lower-level Research Associates.
Will report to the Director of Genomics Core. The candidate duties will include and support the dynamic goals of the fast paced genomics environment
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
• Performs complex laboratory experiments
• Strong laboratory skills in standard molecular, cellular biology and in vivo models
• Maintains detailed lab notebook and laboratory database for reagents and specimens as needed
• Participates in publication and writing abstracts, presenting results etc.
• Perform mostly bench work related to genomic experiments such as microarray, next generation sequencing, high throughput qPCR and sample management
• Order and maintain laboratory inventory including reagents, glassware, supplies, etc.
• Under direct supervision conduct additional general molecular biology experiments such as RNA/DNA isolation, cDNA/cRNA synthesis, PCR, RT-PCR, ligation, restriction digests, etc. which may be used for custom services or validation or testing of specific biological hypothesis or even QC
• Operate automated fluidics systems like Tecan, platforms for QC including Agilent, Qubit, NanoDrop, qPCR platforms including Fludigm, ABI OpenArray and other genomic platforms equipment
• Operate Illumina and Ion sequencers.
• Conduct basic QC analysis
• Participate in different research projects/activities involving technical directors studies and prepare figures and tables for scientific publications
• Edit and maintain sample and user LIMS data in a database
• Maintain a clean, organized laboratory space
• In general should be able to carry out the daily activities of the core, prioritize and organize tasks, be detail minded, and be an effective communicator, both verbally and in writing with core personnel.