Research Associate II

Organization
Broad Institute
Job Location
Cambridge, MA
Job Description

This position is a unique opportunity to join the laboratory of Eric Lander, Founder and Director of the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, to study genome biology. With the sequencing of the human genome, we discovered that protein-coding genes comprise only 2% of our genome sequence and that much of the critical regulatory information resides in the remaining 98%. Recently, our group described a new class of genes (lincRNAs) that do not encode proteins. These noncoding RNAs play critical roles in genome regulation during development and disease, but their exact functions and mechanisms remain unknown.

We are looking for a highly motivated individual with significant experience in molecular biology, biochemistry, and/or genetics to join our team working to characterize these noncoding RNAs. The successful candidate will help to decipher the genetic code controlling lincRNA function by applying high-throughput techniques in biochemistry, molecular biology, and cell biology. This project will include biochemical purification of lincRNA-protein complexes to identify the molecular interactions that enable lincRNA functions. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to contribute to designing, performing, interpreting, and presenting experiments and results.

The Lander Laboratory is a dynamic, interdisciplinary workplace that will provide unique access to cutting edge technologies and scientific thought, with the potential for widespread recognition of resulting scientific contributions.

CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES
- Performs biochemical purifications, clones and expresses lncRNAs and proteins in mammalian cells
- Works with team members to develop, design, and carry out experiments that are essential to the group’s collective success
- Interprets experimental results; documents, summarizes and presents findings in individual and group meetings
- Consults with other staff, senior scientists, or primary literature to learn or develop new experimental protocols
- Consults with team leader on priorities, methods, and timelines
- Maintains a detailed organizational plan and record to ensure successful and timely completion of required tasks
- Other tasks as required

- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Biology or related field. Highly motivated candidates of all levels are encouraged to apply.
- 2+ years of experience in a research laboratory
- Experience with mammalian cell culture and protein expression
- Strong technical knowledge and experience with protein and/or RNA biochemistry
- High level of initiative and motivation; ability to work independently and with a team
- Excellent communication, organization, and time management skills
- Ability to think creatively to solve problems
- Experience with mass spectrometry or next-generation DNA sequencing a plus

The Broad Institute will not offer visa sponsorship for this opportunity.

EOE/Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabilities

If interested, please apply online at http://track.tmpservice.com/ApplyClick.aspx?id=2273310-2647-221

A research duo finds that science and technology graduate students who turn away from academic careers do so because of changes in their own interests.

Students whose classmates are interested in science are more likely to think about a career in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, a new study says.

CNBC reports that the genetic counseling field is expected to grow as personalized medicine becomes more common.

Gladys Kong writes at Fortune that her STEM background has helped her as a CEO.