The Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard is the world’s leading biomedical research institute dedicated to the bold mission of using the full power of genomics to transform the understanding and treatment of disease. The Broad Institute seeks to describe all of the molecular components of life and their connections; discover the molecular basis of major human diseases; develop effective new approaches to diagnostics and therapeutics; and disseminate discoveries, tools, methods, and data openly to the entire scientific community.
Founded in 2004 by Eric Lander and philanthropists Eli and Edythe L. Broad, the Broad Institute includes faculty, professional staff, and students from throughout the MIT and Harvard biomedical research communities and beyond, with collaborations spanning more than a hundred private and public institutions in more than 40 countries worldwide.
The Heiman lab aims to understand how neuronal identity is established and maintained, and how the molecular identity of a neuron determines its susceptibility to disease. Lab members use biochemical, genetic, and molecular biological tools, including mouse models of neurodegenerative diseases and a novel methodology termed Translating Ribosome Affinity Purification (TRAP) that allows molecular profiling of individual types of neurons from within the mammalian brain.
- Conducts independent projects as well as bench level experiments and techniques as appropriate to experience level
- Documents, compiles, and interprets experimental data as appropriate to experience level
- Adjusts experimental protocols to ensure project completion in a timely fashion
- Mastery of basic research skills and standard lab procedures
- Excellent understanding of lab functions with the ability to identify problems and propose solutions as needed
- BA or BS with 2+ years of related experience.
- Mastery of rodent stereotaxic surgery required (minimum 1 year experience required)
- Experience with rodent behavioral assays required
- Mastery with basic molecular biology techniques required (minimum 1 year experience required)
- Primary cell culture experience preferred but not required
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with all levels
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Must be able to use sound judgment to handle a variety of tasks and to shift priorities
The Broad Institute will not offer visa sponsorship for this opportunity.
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE