GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Our lab is looking for a dedicated and motivated project manager to over see two IND-supporting preclinical studies using adeno-associated virus (AAV) gene therapy to treat Tay-Sachs and GM1-gangliosidosis, rare, inherited disorder characterized by severe neurological impairment.
The candidate will be responsible for contributing to the design of project plans, maintaining all records and documentation related to the project, as well as writing updates and project summaries, as necessary. The candidate will oversee research associates, train, and mentor them to accomplish the project goals. The candidate will also perform laboratory bench work, as necessary. Additionally, the candidate will also be responsible for ordering laboratory supplies.
The candidate should have experience working with animals, including tissue and specimen collection. Additionally, the candidate should be familiar with a variety of molecular biology techniques, as well as cell culture, histological specimen preparation, immunohistological staining, microscopy, enzymatic assays, and mass spectrometry.
- BS/MS with significant experience in Biological Science or equivalent
- Excellent knowledge of most molecular biology techniques (such as cloning, immunoblotting, immunostaining, cell culture, enzymatic assays)
- Excellent record keeping skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once
- Ability to work with animal models
- Ability to perform duties independently and in a timely manner
- Long term committment
- Perform complex laboratory experiments
- Conduct in-depth analysis of research experiments
- Interpret data, form conclusions, and decide on and plan the next experiments to be done with a high degree of independence
- Write standard operating procedures, schedule work, analyze data, maintain accurate records, and write reports
- Compile and analyze data. Perform computations using image analysis software, spreadsheets, graphing, and curve fitting software
- May modify protocols and be responsible for a single, independent research project
- May assist with budget and/or operational aspects of grant and contract proposals
- Assist in writing the text of scientific publications and grants. Review literature
- Train new laboratory personnel, students, and collaborators
- Comply with all safety and infection control standards
- Perform other duties as required.