The GSC is currently looking for a senior bioinformatician to develop approaches to analyzing and sharing “big data”. This role is instrumental in the development of the CFI-funded cyberinfrastructure project, CanDIG—a state-of-the-art data sharing platform contributing to the development of an international effort to facilitate information exchange as part of the Global Alliance for Genomics & Health (GA4GH). CanDIG also supports large-scale provincial and national data sharing projects, including BC Cancer’s Personalized OncoGenomics program, the Terry Fox Research Institute (TFRI) PROFYLE project and the TFRI-led Marathon of Hope Cancer Centres Network—a major federal initiative to accelerate the adoption of precision medicine for cancer in Canada.
Based at the BC Cancer Research Institute in Vancouver, the successful incumbent will help to devise, develop and implement data sharing methods between our partner sites for cancer genome and transcriptome data. They will also research how these data can be used within Canada to improve precision medicine as it applies to the delivery of healthcare for cancer, ultimately generating a "big data" analytics platform from which further insights into the biology of cancer will be realized.
- Conduct research and supervise projects
- Develop and use new and novel methods for the analysis of cancer genome sequence
- Interact closely with principal investigators and clinicians about the biology and clinical history of research subjects
- Evaluate sequence variants using software prediction tools, and apply guidelines for the interpretation of sequence variants in the context of precision medicine
- Manage and track of next generation DNA and RNA sequence data
- Develop innovative ways to annotate and discover relationships between cancer genes and clinical outcomes
- Present findings at local, national and international scientific meetings
- Write scientific manuscripts related to research findings
- Develop research grant applications
- Contribute to required quarterly and annual reports for research projects
- Work with principal investigators to ensure that all scientific milestones are achieved
- Develop computer code according to professional and industry standards
- Perform other related duties as required