Are you interested in taking the next step in your Molecular Biology and Laboratory Research career? Do you enjoy working in small teams, tackling a variety of responsibilities, and making a difference in peoples’ lives? We are a 150 person, $50 million “product development partnership” organization, funded jointly by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, bio-pharmaceutical companies, and various governments around the world. We are focused on the design and development of new tuberculosis vaccines globally. The Research Associate, Assay Development position is a great opportunity to apply and expand your knowledge of current molecular biology techniques. Joining our Assay Development team will provide you with hands-on experience developing and qualifying assays for testing preclinical and clinical vaccines candidates. If you learn quickly, are adaptable to change, and are eager to take on challenges, this may be a good opportunity for you.
This position is responsible for developing, performing clinical antibody ELISAs and producing recombinant proteins for in vitro immune response studies relevant to the various vaccine candidates being evaluated by Aeras. In addition, the position provides assay development and related scientific support for internal and external vaccine/product translational development activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Handle human and animal serum samples and perform immunoassays following Good Laboratory Practice and adopting to BSL-2 procedures
• Studies on recombinant DNA technology; e.g., gene cloning, PCR, Agarose gel electrophoresis, plasmid extraction and restriction digestion
• Recombinant protein expression in E. coli, yeast, or mammalian cell lines and downstream protein purification by affinity column chromatography, along with
characterization of recombinant proteins by the SDS-PAGE, Western blot, and protein assays
• Undertake a range of analytical assays for recombinant protein and viral products; HPLC-SEC, DLS and other spectrophotometry assays
• Characterize various recombinant viral vaccines by Western blotting, ELISA, qPCR, and titer by TCID50, plaque, and focus assays.
• Implements SOPs and other general laboratory procedures.
• Assist in routine laboratory management, including reagent inventory, equipment qualification, etc
• Proven ability to assemble data generated into technical reports, summaries, and/or graphic presentations.
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor or Master’s degree, or one to 3 years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Experience in ELISA and other immunoassays
• Experience in virus handling and viral titer determination assays
• Experience in E.coli culture, protein expression and purification including, plasmid extraction and purification, SDS-gel, Western blot, and Affinity Column Chromatography techniques
• Able to use computer software to analyze data for graphic presentations