Job Reference Number: RA-R00006-2021-02-22Role Summary
Canada’s Michael Smith Genome Sciences (GSC) at BC Cancer is looking for a Research Associate to work within the Technology Development Group (Biochemistry), to assess or develop new technologies that will continue to propel the GSC forward at the leading edge of science. Such work may, for example, include the evaluation of leading technologies that emerge in the marketplace, and the development of novel genomic technologies, such as those that support large-scale provincial and national projects, including BC Cancer’s Personalized OncoGenomics program, the Terry Fox Research Institute (TFRI) PROFYLE project and the TFRI-led Marathon of Hope Cancer Centres Network—a major federal initiative co-developed with GSC involvement to accelerate the adoption of cancer precision medicine in Canada.
Working in the Technology Development Group (Biochemistry), under the direction of the Director of the GSC and directly reporting to the Group Leader, the successful applicant will help test, devise, develop and implement ‘omic technologies in the laboratory, as well as analyze, propose and present innovative workflows to increase the efficiency of genomics activities. We seek an engaged, enthusiastic team player with excellent bench and computational skills, a demonstrated ability to design and conduct well-controlled experiments, and a passion for genome science.
*Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the position would require working remotely on part-time temporary basis. This restriction would be re-evaluated upon re-contracting*
- Test and/or develop novel and efficient methods to enable the scale and throughput the GSC requires to operate at the leading edge of its fields.
- Perform pilot or “custom” experiments, which may require e.g. following protocols published in the literature, or modifying an existing production protocol to meet specific project needs.
- Provide support to production groups, such as drafting Standard Operating Procedures, training production staff, and troubleshooting exercises.
- Summarize and analyze data and results, and formally present findings in meetings and discussions, including at local, national and international meetings Interact closely and in support of group leaders and their teams to address priorities and project timelines
- Co-author scientific manuscripts related to research and technology findings.
- Co-develop research grant applications.
- Contribute to quarterly and annual reports for research projects.
- Perform other related duties as required.