The BCM-HGSC was founded in 1996 under the leadership of Dr. Richard Gibbs and is a world leader in genomics. The fundamental interests of the BCM HGSC are in advancing biology and genetics by improved genome technologies. As one of the three large-scale sequencing centers funded by the National Institutes of Health, the BCM-HGSC provides a unique opportunity to work on the cutting edge of genomic science in a state of the art institution.
The Baylor College of Medicine Human Genome Sequencing Center Clinical Laboratory (BCM-HGSC-CL) is seeking to recruit a Research Assistant (RA- I) to work in production pipelines. The position would principally involve in sample preparation for next generation sequencing (NGS) across multiple pipelines including DNA QC, construction of NGS DNA libraries, target enrichment sequencing, Illumina instrumentation, and SNP array genotyping production. His/her essential functions and duties include processing samples with Beckman Robots for lab procedures including library construction, hybridization for Next Generation Sequencing (NGS), maintenance of instruments such as Covaris Sonicator, Beckman Robots, Agilent Bioanalyzer, documents and preliminary interpretation of test results, basic troubleshooting. Previous experience with NGS including Illumina HiSeq instrumentation, automation and Laboratory Informatics Management System (LIMS) are recommended. The candidate should be experienced in basic protocols in molecular biology and be a quick learner. The candidate should be able to work independently and within a team to process samples in the production pipeline. He/she should be flexible and adapt to the clinic environment and commit to finishing goals in a timely manner. Qualified candidates should be good at multi-tasking, problem-solving, and have strong communication skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform sample production following SOPs.
- Document experiment procedures.
- Collect, compile, evaluate and analyze data.
- Interpret detailed assay procedures and test results.
- Prepare reagent, solutions, and oligos used for production.
- Update LIMS, sample tracking and project summary using excel sheets.
- Perform routine laboratory equipment maintenance and log records as required.
- Troubleshoot problematic results.
- Track the inventory for reagents and report to team lead when furthering order is needed.
- Performs other related job duties as assigned.