The Garvan Institute is a leading multi-disciplinary biomedical research institute in Darlinghurst, Sydney. With some of the brightest scientific minds and best technologies on the planet, we see the big picture of health and disease. Our researchers harness all the information of the genome to better predict, diagnose, prevent and treat disease — to realise our vision of a future where everyone lives longer, healthier lives.
Garvan’s mission is to make significant contributions to medical research that will change the directions of science and medicine and have major impacts on human health. Its research encompasses bone biology, cancer, diabetes and metabolism, genomics and epigenetics, immunology, and neuroscience. These research activities are organised within four encompassing research themes: Cancer, Genomics, Aging Diseases, Immunity & Inflammatory Diseases, and two major Centres: the Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics and the Garvan-Weizmann Centre for Cellular Genomics.
The Connie Johnson Breast Cancer Research Laboratory led by A/Prof Elgene Lim performs clinically focussed laboratory research with an emphasis on hormone receptor-driven breast cancer.
The Research Assistant is accountable - under supervision - for conducting experiments within his/her Research Division. They will also be responsible for managing the breast cancer biobank. This involves consenting patients for tissue collection, banking tissue from St Vincent’s Hospital and performing experiments in the laboratory. The position will be full time for one year in the first instance.
The key responsibilities of this position include:
- Manage the breast cancer biobank database
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders, including clinical staff and patients, to facilitate the collection of tissues and other patient samples for the biobank project
- Conduct experimental procedures in the lab as part of the overall scientific programme of the research group
- Record experimental procedures and results
- Regularly attend meetings with the research group and wider Research Division community as required
- Be involved in junior lab responsibilities such as:
- Store duties, wash-up and cleaning of shared rooms;
- Stock control, monitoring and ordering consumables under supervision
- Responsible for imparting knowledge in relation to skills or experimental expertise
- Other duties as assigned.