Affymetrix, now a part of Thermo Fisher Scientific
Research Associate I - Bioconjugation
We are seeking a highly motivated Research Associate to join the Bioconjugation Group in R&D. This team develops products which are mainly fluorescently conjugated antibodies and other proteins for use in flow cytometry and microscopy in the area of immunology. Within the team, innovative protocols are established and validated. This is a results driven team looking for an additional hardworking member. The successful candidate will be responsible for the conjugation and purification of antibodies. Job skills include basic knowledge of chemistry, absorption spectroscopy, and an understanding of chromatographic techniques including affinity, size exclusion and HIC chromatography.
* Work under the guidance of senior staff to conjugate antibodies and other proteins to a variety of fluorochromes. Purify resulting conjugates to obtain desired fraction
* Perform column chromatography purification: SEC, HIC and affinity
* Follow protocols and accurately document process on batch records
* Manage multiple tasks each day successfully
* Keep organized documentation and corresponding QC records.
* Be prompt in working to the established schedule
* Work both individually and as part of a group, as well as across other groups within R&D and manufacturing
* Maintain a safe working environment
* B.S. degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology, or a related-discipline.
* Preference will be given to candidates with industry or academic experience in the area of biomolecule purification and/or protein chemistry. Must have experience in a lab outside of a laboratory course.
* Must have excellent math skills and basic lab skills involved in liquid handling and chemical techniques.
* Must be capable of some troubleshooting
* Must be flexible to meet changing priorities
* Must have excellent computer skills to work in databases and across instrument software
* Must be an enthusiastic collaborator with excellent written and oral communication skills
* GMP lab experience is a plus.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and hear; use hands to handle or feel; see computer screens and read computer printouts; and reach with arms and hands.
Noise level in the environment is moderate.
Affymetrix, now part of Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/AA Employer of Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity