The Sabeti Lab at Harvard University and the Broad Institute seeks a Software Engineer to lead the development and public release of computational tools for investigating the evolution of humans and pathogens. The ideal candidate will have experience with building, improving, and managing large-scale computational pipelines as well as some familiarity with formal software development methods and high throughput computing platforms.
This role will work to complete computational toolsets developed in the lab and may work on multiple computational projects based on current needs and fit. The Sabeti Lab develops computational genomic methods to detect and investigate evolution in humans and in human pathogens such as Ebola virus and Lassa virus.
- Formalize proof-of-concept research methods into robust software tools.
- Develop data analysis methods, write algorithms, and deploy computational tools for the analysis of large datasets.
- Work with scientists in our group to validate software accuracy and compare against previous methods and tools.
- Communicates technical approaches and decisions with manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field and at least two years of experience in software development.
- Experience developing software in Python. Experience in C++ or Perl may be helpful as well.
- Familiarity with group-based software development tools and processes (version control, issue tracking, and build / test / integration tools).
- Must be proficient in working in the Unix environment. Experience with cluster computing and parallelization preferred.
- Ability to prioritize and evaluate different approaches to assigned objectives.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Ability to solve complex problems individually and as part of a team.
- A background in biology is not required, though an interest in applying one’s analytical and programming skills to developing research tools is necessary.
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE