Cures Start Here .
At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch's pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer with minimal side effects. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation's first and largest cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women's Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network.
Careers Start Here .
This position will manage the daily lab research operations of three laboratories. They will develop policies and procedures, maintain IACUC, train, and monitor Biosafety approvals. They will carry out complex research responsibilities. The position works under the direction of the VIDD Sr. Programs Manager, referring to the PIs of each lab for each project/study issues on and/or soliciting guidance as necessary. This position holds special skills and knowledge that are applied in managing project operations, in developing methods and materials, and in carrying-out complex research responsibilities. The position will require independent judgment in interpreting and applying project/study protocol and in supervising staff.
Perform the following responsibilities:
- Manage and oversee the murine colony for labs, including weaning, genotyping by flow cytometry and PCR, maintain murine census database and maintain accurate records of breeding. Supervise and train lab staff on correct procedures.
- Assist in the development of project/study policies and procedures. Administer policies and procedures according to protocol, IACUC, and lab safety policies. Along with the PI, prepare and track all lab activity documents including IACUC approvals, EMUAs, IBC approvals, IRB approvals, DEA licences, EH&S amendments including chemical inventory, lab safety inspections & compliance.
- Ensure laboratory supply inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies; and negotiating pricing discounts for supplies, reagents, equipment, and service.
- Serve as lab liaison between the PIs and administration, representing the lab to other Center departments, vendors, affiliated individuals or institutions, and outside organizations. Coordinate equipment maintanence and repairs, usage scheudules, etc as needed.
- Ensure laboratory equipment performance by establishing quality standards; developing operations, quality, and troubleshooting procedures; ensuring staff compliance; certifying instrument performance; and arranging equipment replacement, service, and repair.
- Ensure all laboratory staff receive and remain current with the required training, including Laboratory Safety, Biosafety, BBP, Human Subjects, IATA, building safety, LN2 usage, and GCLP.
- Collect data and assist in the analysis of project/study data. Track all data as is appropriate.
- Coordinate space and equipment planning and utilization, evaluating current project/study needs, overseeing the acquisition of space and equipment, anticipating and planing for future needs.
- Asist with supervison of staff including, lab safety training. Independently supervise Lab Aids, Interns, and work study students.
- Assist with the project/study budget review, ensuring that all lab expenditures are in accordance with grant/contract guidelines and requirements.
- Perform other responsibilities as required.
- BA/BS in related scientific field required.
- Minimum of three years post-master's or five years post-bachelor's related project/study management experience in a research setting.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong supervisory skills and budgeting experience.
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE