As the leader of defined project teams and a core member of corresponding Life Cycle Team (LCT),
- Provide cross-functional leadership to global project teams from project initiation to Launch Decision (LD)
- Execute tailored product development strategy aligned with Life Cycle Team objectives
- Develop strategic options according to the principles of time, cost and risk and addresses technical, regulatory, business and operational needs
- Drive team debate/discussion around key issues that determine product quality, functionality or schedule
- Decide on system development pathways in accordance to cross-functional evaluation and risk assessment
- Deliver a seamless transition into later stages of development by ensuring early planning and cross-functional involvement / communication in early product development strategy
- Monitor team performance and help develop individual members.
More specifically, the Project Leader for an LCT is responsible for the following:
- Leads, motivates and organizes the project team to define and execute cutting-edge project strategy in accordance with LCT goals and budget
- Sets clear direction for the global product development strategy from project initiation to Launch Decision (LD).
- Ensures the optimal blend of team members so that the team is functional from an expertise and interpersonal perspective.
- Ensures all team members and functions are aligned behind the objectives of the team.
- Sets challenging project team goals and ensures that best practices are used to attain these goals
- Motivates and inspires team to achieve challenging goals
- Creates a positive team environment that instills trust and ensures clear transparent communications and gets the team behind the overall goal/vision for the project
- Instills sense of urgency and a strong can-do attitude in team members
- Challenges the team and organization to ensure that the best possible performance is achieved.
- Provides input to team member performance, including extended teams
- Leads team to develop scenarios including alternative development options (cost, time, risk/benefit) for strategic decision making.
- Promotes debate from functional experts to ensure effective, clear decision making within the team
- Leads co-development projects – balancing the needs of Roche and partners in collaborations
- Encourages creative or unconventional ideas and ensures that these are exploited by the team, as appropriate
- Challenges team members and status quo constructively to lead delivery of ambitious milestones
- Leads team to create and document an integrated early research and development project plan and secures agreement on transition plan for life cycle transition of project
- Presents development options, strategies and recommendations to LCT for endorsement at key decision points to allow fact based, transparent and informed decision making
- Serves as the primary contact with LCL and partners in co-development collaborations
- Keeps LCL and LCC informed of project status / risks
RESOURCE AND BUDGET MANAGEMENT
- Interacts with functions to ensure that appropriate resources are allocated at the appropriate time and aligned with agreed plan
- Works with functions to identify gaps and to find collaborative solutions
- Resolves inter-project resource conflicts to avoid resource bottlenecks
- Takes accountability for project budget and milestones
- Leads the team to identify and manage key risks to the project.
- Leads the team to develop and implement innovative and feasible de-risking strategies