The European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) is seeking a Project Lead for the European Variation Archive (EVA). The EVA, (https://www.ebi.ac.uk/eva/) is a primary open repository for archiving, accessioning and distributing genetic variation, including single nucleotide variants, short insertions and deletions (indels), and larger structural variants (SVs) in any species. The EVA is an ELIXIR data deposition resource and implements the FAIR principles to provide access and foster data re-use, and enable reproducibility. The EVA is a rapidly expanding resource and since 2018 is the sole deposition resource of genetic variants from any species. We collaborate internationally with the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health, the OpenTargets platform, the Ensembl Genome Browser, NCBI/dbSNP, and a variety of model organism databases.
The EVA project is part of the EGA and EVA team led by Thomas Keane, and is part of the Molecular Archives Cluster at EMBL-EBI. We work closely with other members of the Molecular Archive cluster, The European Genome Phenome Archive (EGA), the European Nucleotide Archive (ENA), and the Samples, Phenotypes and Ontologies team.
The EVA team group consists of a Senior Software Developer, three Software Developers, a Helpdesk Officer, and a Bioinformatician. The successful candidate will work closely with the EGA/EVA team leader to develop the strategic plan, manage the day to day operations of the EVA group, and in conjunction with the Senior Developer plan the software development sprints of the EVA group. You will represent the EVA at international standards initiatives, foster collaborative relationships with key community resources, and ensure a high quality service to EVA users.
The main activities that you will be involved in are:
- Ensuring that the EVA delivers an efficient service for key stakeholders (submitters, users, and key collaborators);
- Implement and monitor the delivery of the EVA strategic objectives, milestones, and present KPIs to demonstrate success;
- Assist the team leader with project planning, grant writing, and budgeting processes including key performance indicators;
- Effectively and proactively communicate operational outcomes, risks, and ongoing processes;
- Coordinate day to day supervision of EVA staff comprising of software developers, bioinformatics, and helpdesk staff (approximately 5-6 FTE);
- Maintain and develop collaborations with multiple external groups;
- Work with, teach, and learn from a great team that is fun, devoted to personal growth and committed to building something meaningful, lasting, and impactful.
Many members of the team have families and dependants and we value the importance of a good work-life balance. EMBL-EBI makes progress every year towards building a more diverse workforce, making it an ideal place for smart, curious people across cultures, genders, ethnicities, and lifestyles.