The Production Bioinformatics Engineer will be responsible for the management of next generation sequencing (NGS) data and the efficient implementation of data analysis pipelines for KCCG. This role will support the objectives of the group by implementing efficient analytic workflows and best practices for the generation and processing of next-generation sequencing data. The role will also involve close collaboration with researchers from different divisions to provide them with custom bioinformatics support.
This is a two year fixed term position with the possibility to extend.
- Transform research-grade bioinformatics analysis workflows into products that are robust, transparent and reassuring;
- Responsible for researching, planning, implementing, testing, and optimising bioinformatics software tools for NGS data that meet the analysis needs for laboratory research scientists;
- Ensure that NGS pipelines are consistently, reliably, efficiently, and correctly processing data;
- Perform initial stage analysis on next-generation sequencing data;
- Work closely with Garvan’s Data Intensive Computer Engineering (DICE) group regarding the building of software pipelines that will run on DICE’s HPC and OpenStack computing environment, Australia’s supercomputing facility, the National Computational Infrastructure (NCI), as well as on commercial clouds (AWS, Google, and Azure);
- Responsible for documenting and communicating pipeline processes and building the team knowledge base;
- Provide bioinformatics support and training to end-users (transforming data from sequence to information meaningful for laboratory research scientists);
- All staff are required to comply with Garvan’s Work Health & Safety (WHS) Policy and work in accordance with the WHS management system at all times;