Are you fascinated by genetics, passionate about communicating science to the everyday consumer, and interested in revolutionizing how people interact with their DNA? We're looking for enthusiastic people with scientific backgrounds to contribute to the development of consumer-focused, personalized genetic content. Your work could help millions of people understand their genetic information and use it to make impactful life changes.
Who we are
23andMe’s mission is to help individuals and researchers access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health.
Who you are
You think that science is just about the awesomest thing ever and want everyone else to think so, too. You believe it’s not just possible to make genetics interesting to the average person, but important. You are comfortable evaluating findings from scientific studies, are a stickler for details, and are simultaneously skeptical and excited about new ideas. You can work independently but thrive as part of a team. Like us, you are mission-driven and want to contribute to something that truly impacts people’s lives.
What you’ll do
- Research and evaluate ideas for science-driven consumer-facing content and product features from user, scientific, regulatory, and business perspectives
- Critically evaluate and record data from scientific papers and internal research
- Develop compelling and accurate scientific content and features in an empathetic, user-focused way for the consumer product
- Provide scientific support to a variety of teams across the company
- Want to know more? Visit our website to learn about the types of reports we develop.
We hope you have
- A Ph.D. in the life sciences, preferably related to human genetics
- Experience with topics related to human health and/or personal wellness
- A demonstrated ability to make complex scientific and medical concepts interesting and accessible to a lay audience
- A passion for written communication and collaborative writing and editing
- An interest in translating the latest scientific findings into personalized genetic reports
- Familiarity with statistical analysis and research methodologies in the context of critically evaluating scientific findings and an ability to articulate where individual studies fit into the big picture
- Familiarity with the fundamentals of human genetics and genomic technologies
- The ability to be proactive, thorough, and independent but to also work effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced, and interdisciplinary team
- Experience with data visualization, survey methodologies, analytics, or information design
- Experience with medical device regulation or technical writing
- Familiarity with GWAS and/or machine learning
- Experience with the command line, scripting, programming languages, or markup languages, and familiarity with related tools (such as Python, R, HTML, or Git)