The Product Manager will develop and manage a portfolio of NGS related products and services, including fragment libraries, mate-pair libraries, and associated products used on sequencing on the Illumina or Ion Torrent platforms. S/he will be responsible for the development of product strategy, product definition, positioning, and product life-cycle management including developing marketing plans, market research, leading new product development teams, managing inventory, developing pricing, establishing customer communications, and revenue forecasts. This person must have the keen ability to effectively translate market trends, customer requirements into product requirements that drive differentiated value for identified target markets. Furthermore, we are looking for a highly collaborative team member to work with our R&D, operations, and key opinion leaders to refine the global strategic plan, product positioning, and to ensure successful product launches.
- Develop product/technology marketing plans to drive sales and market share gains.
- Develop the tactical plans for to execute the product line marketing strategies. Create and deploy marketing collateral in support of new and existing products.
- Perform financial review of product performance, Product positioning, value to the customer, competitive situation in the market, market trends, market share gains, wins/losses and best practices on a regular basis for assigned product line.
- Lead new product development process from concept through commercialization, including voice of customer research, definition of customer and product requirements and value proposition, manage product launches and sales training.
- Understand customer needs and identify market opportunities. Translate those needs into customer-focused requirements in language appropriate for internal design and execution.
- Execute post-launch review metrics, evaluation of product performance in customer’s hands and voice of customer (VOC).
- Establish product/technology differentiation, positioning and value proposition. Ensure pricing achieves margin expectations and market penetration.
- Manage response to customer complaints with cross-functional teams.
- Plan and manage trade shows, symposia, and other customer-focused events for assigned product line.
- Develop revenue and usage forecasts for product line and services.
- Act as liaison between sales, operations, technical support, legal and technical product development team.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the Marketing Team to drive growth for the business segment.
- Prepare and give presentations on marketing and sales strategies and product performance.
- Maintain network of internal and external business contacts. Network with customers to understand technical needs, trends and future products. Build long-term relationships with customers, stakeholders and/or key opinion leaders.
- Assist on sales calls or closing sales, when appropriate.
- Understand and comply with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.
- Travel for business purposes approximately 25% (international and domestic) may be required.
- Identify and appraise commercial opportunities and risks.
- Appraise internal business capabilities.
- Prepare background material and interpret external trends.
- Translate corporate direction and strategic goals into product portfolio decisions.
- Understand and apply financial concepts of net present value, budget and forecasting processes.