Do you love to figure out how to apply the latest advances in cloud infrastructure and big data to solve real business problems? 23andMe is looking for someone with that passion to both accelerate our research and therapeutics teams' ability to better understand human biology as well as enable our product development teams to discover and ship new and innovative consumer genetics products. Use your expertise and passion for infrastructure to enhance our data platforms and the services that make use of them to keep up with the demands of a rapidly growing customer base and supporting growing and ambitious research and data science teams. In this role, you will work with all of the internal customers for 23andMe's data to identify and prioritize requirements for enhancing the platform, and contextualize them with the rest of the business. Come join us in this new role!
Who you are
You methodically work to hone in on problems and identify the right solutions. You love data and infrastructure and are emphatic about building good products that can drive the business forward. You're comfortable working in areas where success means things are humming along smoothly. You have enough technical chops to dive into requirements with a geneticist, or an ETL with an engineer, while maintaining the ability to put them in the context of the product roadmap and company goals. You are proactive and can work independently but thrive on coordinating and working in teams. Like us, you are mission-driven and want to contribute to something that truly impacts people’s lives.
What you’ll do
- Lead projects that enhance the data platforms that power 23andMe's research and product experiences
- Collaborate with the Product Management, Product Science, Business Development, Health and Ancestry R&D, Statistical Geneticist/Computational Biology, Therapeutics and Engineering teams to establish a roadmap for enhancing the capacity and capability of our data platforms
- Lead the development of services that turn research pipelines (GWAS, ML/AI, etc.) into enterprise-grade services
- Work with Engineering and Program Management to prioritize, plan, and execute on projects
- Help structure plans to support new data types and new use cases for the 23andMe database
- Communicate requirements, plans, and project status within teams and throughout the organization
- Define success metrics and analyze outcomes to inform process improvement and portfolio strategy
We hope you have
- A Bachelors degree in an engineering or technical field
- 2+ years experience with product development and product management
- An ability to explain the mechanisms, implications, and consequences of technology choices, and the skills to connect technical, scientific and business stakeholders to common purposes.
- Experience with building and launching software infrastructure and tools for wide use inside and outside an organization
- Experience working with cloud platforms such as AWS, Google Cloud Platform, etc.
- Experience with distributed databases and large scale data processing
- Experience solving problems with Hadoop and related technologies (HDFS, MapReduce, HBase, Spark, etc.)
- Familiarity with software and product development frameworks, agile workflows, and APIs
- Advanced degree in life sciences, engineering, or business
- Previous experience in software engineering
- Familiarity with bioinformatics pipelines or genetic data
- Experience working within data privacy and compliance constraints
- Experience working in a regulated medical device environment
- Experience working in a dynamic startup environment
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.