10x is seeking an outstanding individual to join its Engineering and Product Development team in developing new technologies, devices and instrumentation for breakthrough next generation sequencing (NGS) applications. This person will be will be responsible for designing and conducting experiments to establish and validate electrical, mechanical and fluidic component performance as well as overall system performance of new products. This will often involve writing basic software (Python, C/C++) to control motors, actuators, pumps, valves, relays and temperature controllers while simultaneously collecting data from connected measurement devices and sensors. In addition, this individual will be responsible for converting manual biochemical and molecular biology protocols into automated methods using script based software tools and subsequently testing/validating the performance of these scripts and associated hardware using both common and specialized scientific equipment and assays. The ideal candidate will have an education background in an engineering discipline (systems, mechanical, electrical, bioengineering,) with a minimum of 5 years of industry experience in the development of life science instrumentation or other relevant products.
- Work with other engineering team members to select and test electrical, mechanical and fluidic components for new instrumentation.
- Build fixtures and assemble prototype platforms. Prepare electrical and fluidic connections with custom harnesses and fittings.
- Design and conduct experiments to establish and validate component and system performance.
- Write basic Python and C/C++ code to support testing of components and systems and for automated data acquisition.
- Collect and analyze data. Generate written reports, documentation and formal presentations as needed. Maintain accurate documentation of all experiments and data.