Roche Molecular Systems is seeking an outstanding Principal Scientist II or Research Leader in Virology (HIV, HPV, HCV) to lead an Infectious Diseases Research Group and projects in sample preparation and assay design of real time PCR IVD assays. The position requires a minimum of 7 years of research experience with a track record of peer reviewed publications and a minimum of 3 years of supervisory management in industry. The Principal Scientist II/ Research Leader enhances the disease area knowledge in virology and fosters improvements of research assay design, and early development strategies. RT-PCR and next-generation sequencing experience are highly desirable. Computational expertise to analyse large datasets and/or programming skills are a plus.
- Aligns project and team goals with the company’s business vision.
- Develops product concepts aligned with customer requirements and product specifications, and translates them into focused scientific activities.
- Plans and designs advanced independent or multi-disciplinary research/development experiments driven by strategic business needs.
- Manages projects and team, provides scientific/technical direction, and designates accountability for product research and development activities. Gives people assignments and training to develop their abilities.
- Serves as a subject matter expert at various management levels. Prepares timelines and assessments of project progress and critical factors, and establishes priorities. Assumes responsibility for timely completion of projects, and resolves technical issues.
- Ensures activities meet performance/quality expectations and are consistent with project critical path.
- Ensures technical activities under delegated supervision are conducted within of internal and external guidelines and regulations.
- Interacts with other departments to further project goals. Responsible for the transfer of prototype product technology and documentation from Research to Development and/or to Manufacturing. Provides information and assistance to other departments to support product scale-up, manufacture, launch and sales.
- Recommends new approaches, expansion or curtailment of project technical activities based on experimental results or new scientific information. Adjusts direction of research activities accordingly as scientific findings warrant.
- Communicates progress of efforts to Director and other departments to assure awareness of current status of projects.
- Provides top line review of experimental results, and secondary review of experimental data. Prepares comprehensive written and verbal project status reports, and written manuscripts for publication in some cases. Presents findings or comprehensive project status reviews at internal & external meetings. Applies advanced technical writing skills to produce reports and documents.
- Influences senior management decisions that have an impact on business direction of the area. Makes decisions under consultative direction that have an impact on business direction of the area. Decisions have a long term effect on the objectives of the function and/or area.