Roche Molecular Systems is seeking an outstanding Principal Scientist in the area of nucleic acid chemistry and biology. The research will involve new molecular diagnostics assay technologies, the development of novel reagents, including automated nucleic acid sample preparation reagents, various chemical analytical processes and methods, PCR-based methods, and cross-functional projects across the entire R&D organization.
The Principal Scientist will work in a team-oriented environment and provide general expertise in nucleic acid chemistry, participate in evaluation of new technologies, and will contribute to improvements of research, assay design, early development strategies, and exploratory technologies. Hands-on experimental skills and demonstrated ability to translate innovation into products or proof of concept are required.
- Designs and performs experiments to test hypothesis related to project outcomes, and analyzes and interprets data/results.
- Recommends new or creative approaches, and/or expansion or curtailment of investigations based on experimental data or new scientific information arising from area of responsibility.
- Participates in project planning, process updates, and experimental design.
- Assumes responsibility for timely completion of projects, ensuring activities are consistent with project critical path and responding appropriately to changing priorities.
- Ensures technical activities under delegated supervision are conducted within internal and external guidelines and regulations.
- Interacts with other departments to further project goals.
- Accurately and consistently records experimental methods, materials and results in electronic laboratory notebooks.
- Analyzes data, evaluates results, forms conclusions, and determines future experiments.
- Presents findings or comprehensive project status reviews at internal seminars/meetings. Applies advanced technical writing skills to produce reports and documents.
- Prepares summaries, internal reports, presentations, manuscripts, etc.
- Serves as an expert resource to other departments (e.g., Manufacturing/Operations, Quality, Marketing, Regulatory Affairs, Clinical Studies, and International Technical Services), provides timely response and follow-ups.
- Participates in the expeditious transfer of products and technologies by providing scientific knowledge and assistance.
- Provides technical advice/guidance to junior scientific staff, and serves as a role model.