STEMCELL Technologies Inc. is a privately-owned biotechnology company based in Vancouver that helps power leading-edge life science research around the world. Scientists performing stem cell, immunology, cancer, regenerative medicine and cellular therapy research are among those who rely on our cell culture media, cell separation products, instruments, ancillary reagents and contract assay services. We create novel, useful, standardized products of unfailing quality and deliver them to more than 70 countries via our many regional offices plus distribution centres in Vancouver, Seattle, Grenoble and Singapore. Driven by our love of science and our passion for quality, we see ourselves simply as “Scientists Helping Scientists” – standing by our customers to provide outstanding products, technical support and training. We have over 500 science-oriented employees globally, including 100 PhDs/MScs, with most others holding a BSc or engineering degree. STEMCELL is proud to be the largest Biotechnology employer in BC.
Currently we have an opening for a Principal Scientist in the Hematopoietic Products Group in Research & Development. This position reports to the Director of Hematopoietic Products, Research & Development, and will have full responsibility for multiple product development projects and research teams, as well as the management of several product lines in the Hematopoietic product portfolio. The Principal Scientist is an in-house expert in hematopoiesis and will provide top level technical support to customers and staff in other departments. They will contribute to key departmental issues, overall product strategy and corporate development. They will play a key role in mapping product strategy. This position will involve some departmental administrative responsibilities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for multiple product lines in the Hematopoietic portfolio, identify gaps in technology and opportunities for new projects/products, define product design criteria, research and development plans, prepare documentation and provide ongoing support after product launch.
- Leader of cross-functional team overseeing all aspects of Hematopoietic product business, including staff from R&D, Manufacturing, Operations, Quality Assurance, Regulatory, Marketing, Sales, Business Development, Finance. Ensure productivity and effectively manage communication with other groups and departments.
- Identify and assess new technologies and business opportunities. Assess competition and generally assist in business development in the area of hematopoiesis.
- Maintain current and extensive understanding of experimental and clinical hematopoietic stem cell biology. Relate to product development, draft business plans and market analyses.
- Generate intellectual property, draft complete patent applications, evaluate prior art, respond to patent office actions.
- Responsible for project research budget, initiate cost reduction projects.
- Responsible for all technical documentation related to product development and launch
- Acts as scientific ambassador for the company, makes external presentations, publishes abstracts and articles, establishes collaborations.
- Identify granting opportunities. Obtain grant funding where appropriate for future product development projects.
- PhD with greater than 15 years’ experience, preferably more than 8 years in the biotechnology/pharma industry.
- Accomplished independent researcher in the field of hematopoiesis/hematopoietic stem cell biology with product/technique development experience and a history of innovation.
- Established a scientific reputation in experimental hematology through peer reviewed publications, numerous external presentations, successful grant applications and successful external collaborations.
- Recognized by the scientific community as an expert in the field of experimental hematology.
- Has supervised laboratory staff at all levels and led a research team.
- Successful in writing research grants, numerous publications and patents if applicable.
- Understanding of STEMCELL’s customer base, business practices and business opportunities.
- Some experience in marketing scientific products is an asset, specifically the ability to set marketing strategy and to translate into tactical plans.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Skilled presenter able to deliver technical summaries of data as well as high level explanations designed to support strategic decisions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as exemplified by the successful management of direct reports and large cross-functional teams.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, to be flexible to adjust to rapidly changing priorities, and to deliver results to meet project timelines.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a science-oriented, creative and dynamic environment. We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and significant career development opportunities.