Are you a strong programmer who wants to make a difference and help cure cancer?
We are a small but lively team of software engineers and computational scientists committed to agile development practices. Today, our tools and platforms are used by thousands of researchers across the globe, processing petabytes of data, and consuming hundreds of thousands of core-hours weekly. We are building an elastic-compute service architecture on both public and private clouds to scale those numbers even further. The ideal candidate will want to learn new domains through our collaborations with a wider community of computational biologists and medical/cancer geneticists.
We are seeking talented and motivated software engineers to join our newly formed engineering team to chart a new course in genomics. We are a core part of the Broad Institute, a deeply-collaborative scientific institution that is transforming medicine and human health by building software solutions to process and analyze scientific data on an unprecedented scale. No medical, genomics, or scientific background is required, just an enthusiasm to improve the world of medicine and an ability to write exceptional software.
Our ideal candidate will work closely within a close-knit, friendly team and will
- Enjoy working in a collaborative setting with existing team members
- Be able to work independently and know when to ask for help
- Enjoy solving complicated algorithmic problems and understands good software development practice
- Design and implement systems, both cloud and local, to process our massive volume of data
- Have good attention to detail and take pride in his or her work
- Have a strong desire to learn about sequencing, genomics and the scientific work of the Broad Institute
- Work with team lead and users to understand and define requirements.
- Design and build new software tools and systems that are compatible with the Broad’s current and future computational environment.
- Perform comprehensive unit and integration testing of all software produced
- Work with existing users to provide education and resolution of issues
- Work to integrate new technologies and systems into existing infrastructure
- Ad-hoc analysis of interesting and problematic datasets to help resolve issues encountered by users and by the sequencing lab
- Participate in group design and code reviews
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, with at least 10 years of Software Development experience
- Experience delivering and maintaining production software of high quality in a timely manner
- Firm understanding of fundamental data structures and algorithms
- Experience working with users to develop and document requirements
- Technical knowledge and skills:
- Experience with cloud environments (ex. AWS, GCE, …)
- Advanced knowledge of Java including performance, memory management, threading
- Experience with Scala, or a modern functional language preferred
- Proficiency working with relational databases and in writing SQL queries
- Experience working in unix/linux environments, including basic shell scripting
- Experience troubleshooting complex distributed systems preferred
- Proficiency in basic statistics preferred, but not required
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to perform effectively in a fast paced environment required.
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE