The Human Genome Scientist is a core member of my client’s product team and leads genetic studies of human variants from Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) resequencing studies involving customer and collaborator datasets. This individual is a primary point of customer and collaborator interface for studies involving my client’s new product, and works closely with the field sales team to highlight product capabilities with rich scientific case studies and applications. The scientist in this role is expected to work with Marketing to develop messaging and positioning and is expected to support the production of marketing materials such as scientific case studies. This individual is expected to contribute to the definition and design of new product features based on their genetic analysis experience and direct experience in interpretation of human variant datasets, working closely with the conmpany’s collaborators and customers. We’re seeking an experienced scientist in genetic analysis with strong analytical skills and a natural interest and aptitude for evangelizing a product.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Through genetic analysis of NGS datasets, highlight and showcase my client’s current and future product capabilities to existing and prospective customers, partners and collaborators.
• Lead genetic analysis and biological interpretation studies working directly with company’s customers and collaborators. Drive and publish case studies and/or manuscripts on collaborative analyses as appropriate.
• Present scientific applications and analyses leveraging my client’s system in scientific conferences and meetings.
• Support sales, field application specialist, customer support and marketing teams leveraging technical and scientific experience.
• Participate in new product feature definition and ideation based on scientific experience with customers and collaborators.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of commonly-used methods to analyze human genomic data, with published example(s) of impact in at least one therapeutic area.
• Applies alignment, search, comparison, annotation, visualization and analysis tools to analyze human NGS data.
• Self-starter who thrives in a collaborative, high-energy environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and a natural evangelist for leading edge products.
• Ability to select among existing methodologies and tools, and where necessary develop new approaches.
• Scientific publications and presentations that demonstrate human genetic analysis experience.
• Demonstrated experience analyzing human genetics data (e.g. NGS resequencing, RNA-seq, SNP genotypes, GWAS).
• Experience evangelizing a genomic/NGS related technology
• Deep understanding of genetics and molecular and cellular biology concepts.
• Data analysis skills (e.g. R, MATLAB, PLINK)
• Working knowledge of statistics.
• Ability to both independently and collaboratively work to develop compelling scientific insights from complex genetic datasets.
• Experience with genetic data analysis bioinformatics tools and scientific data visualization applications applied to sequence analysis workflows (e.g. RNA-seq, DNA re-seq, Cancer deep sequencing, ChIP-seq).
• Broad knowledge of human physiology and pathology.
• Proficiency with sequence assembly and search tools (e.g. Bowtie, BLAT).
• Bioinformatics scripting skills (e.g. PERL, Python).
• Experience developing software applications or workflow automation.
• Understanding of the drug discovery process.
• Deep understanding of the NGS market and players in the value chain
• Experience working with product development teams and understanding and translating customer needs into software requirements and solutions.
• Leadership skills including “managing by influence”.
• 4+ years experience analyzing human genomic data.
• Ph.D. in Genetics, Biology, Computational Biology, Biostatistics, or Physics/Mathematics.
• 4+ years product or service provider experience
• 6+ years experience analyzing human genomic data.
• Genetic data analysis experience as part of a clinical study with pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry collaborators.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT (i.e. travel, lifting or other physical requirements)
• 30% travel requirement.