Postdoctoral Scholar - Metabolic Engineering - 90520
Organization: BE-Biological Systems & Eng
Berkeley Lab’s Biological Systems and Engineering Division (https://biosciences.lbl.gov/divisions/bse/) has an opening for a Postdoctoral Scholar – Metabolic Engineering.
In this exciting role, you will work in the Department of Energy (DOE) funded Joint BioEnergy Institute (JBEI) with the Microbial and Enzyme Discovery Group located in Emeryville, California. You will be focused on engineering microbial strains for carbon-efficient conversion of lignocellulosic biomass to biofuels and bioproducts.
What You Will Do:
• Engineer bacteria to convert plant-derived sugars and aromatics to biofuels and bioproducts.
• Analyze engineered strains with transcriptomics and proteomics.
• Work with others at JBEI to develop metabolic models of carbon-efficient strains.
• Publish scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals and present findings at seminars and conferences.
• Collaborate with other members of the group and across the Divisions at JBEI.
• Maintain an accurate and detailed electronic scientific logbook of all experiments performed. Store all data generated in an organized and secure way. Ensure that others could duplicate results.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
• This is a full time, 2 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 3 years paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at Joint BioEnergy Institute (JBEI) — Bldg. 978, 5885 Hollis St., 4th floor, Emeryville, CA.
Biological Systems and Engineering Division
Vision: To lead efforts that combine the power of biology with the tools of engineering to develop sustainable energy and biomanufacturing solutions and improve human health.
Mission: Advance a mechanistic and predictive understanding of complex biological systems over multiple scales in terms of their responses to manipulation, stress, disease and environmental challenges and translate this knowledge using engineering principles to develop resilient systems, tools, and processes for the efficient production of fuels, chemicals, materials, tissues, and therapeutics.