Position Title: Post-Doctoral Scientist
Location: 17062 Murphy Ave. Irvine, CA 92614
Reports to: CSO
Summary/Contribution of Position:
A Post-Doctoral Scientist position is available in our R&D division for an innovative and highly-motivated individual. Successful applicants will be highly independent in the design, execution and analysis of research experiments targeted at driving either the development of novel, cutting-edge technology or improvements to products currently in our portfolio.
Qualified applicants must have a solid understanding of molecular and cell biology and extensive experience in applications of molecular biology techniques including nucleic acid hybridization and PCR techniques, nucleic acid isolation and gene cloning. Experience in Epigenetics, Bioinformatics or large-scale data analysis is a plus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- 1. RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
- Develop nature and general plan of approach to basic research and development problems; read and abstract scientific articles pertaining to prosecution of broad research problems; organize and work out all techniques involved under the partial supervision of CSO and Principle Investigators.
- Work with staff Research Associates, Principle Investigators, and CSO on research or experiment problems.
- Contribute original ideas of methodological significance to the prosecution of laboratory and/or field phases of research.
- Execution of laboratory phases of research projects under the partial supervision of the CSO and Principal Investigators.
- Exercise judgment, initiative, and resourcefulness in making recommendations for research projects.
- Collaborate with staff Research Associates, and Interns.
- Contribute (a) original ideas of major importance in the prosecution of laboratory and/or field phases of research and/or (b) interpretation of data yielded by new/original method(s) used or developed in the course of laboratory and/or field phases of research.
- Possessing a thorough understanding of the requirements of each project.
- Assessing overall project feasibility.
- Not implementing any project deviation or changes without agreement by the CSO and prior review and approval by ZRC (except to eliminate immediate hazards to the subject).
- Providing adequate information to initially review the study (i.e., projects, and investigator's notebook.
- Providing documents for ongoing review (i.e., amendments to the protocol, adverse events, deviations or new information).
- Securing CSO approval prior to initiating the study or instituting any changes to the project as approved.
- Providing written summaries as requested.
- Providing all documents and ZRC Laboratory Notebook subject to their review.
- Documenting deviations from the approved project.
- Complying with written procedures to document changes to data and/or case report forms
- Maintaining project documents as required by the regulations.
- Standardize new techniques and train other staff personnel in their use.
- Maintain complete hand written reports (lab notebooks) on all phases of laboratory and/or field experimental work involved in research projects adhering to the Zymo Research Notebook Policy .
- Being thoroughly familiar with the use and disposal of the chemicals, and reagents.
- Assuming responsibility for the project and components investigational product at the lab site.
- Ensuring the proper use and storage of the investigational product(s) at the lab site.
- Communicating effectively with research team, and manufacturing.
- Meeting regularly with the research team to discuss project progress.
- Ensuring that all research staff are informed about the project and investigational agents.
- Participating in the monitoring visits of the government and private industry audits as appropriate.
- Making available to monitors, auditors, and regulatory authority(ies) all requested project-related records.
- Ensuring that all research staff are informed about their project-related duties and functions
- Execution of projects or major portions of research projects which have been broadly outlined by the CSO.
- Engage in difficult and complex research projects in collaboration with Research Associates, making important original contributions pertaining to laboratory and/or field experimental procedures.
- Engage in research and development to produce marketable products that product release may be maintained over a period of selling time.
- Chemical analyst, performing a wide variety of chemical analyses, including qualitative and quantitative analyses of unknowns, by using standard methods and by developing modifications of standard methods to meet special needs.
- Responsible for conducting Beta-Test with potential customers.
- Responsible for writing the packaging instructions (protocol).
- Collaborate with marketing on content for marketing collateral, website, and packaging
- Collaborate with product strategy with the manufacturing department.
- ENSURES PROJECT COMPLIANCE
- ENSURES INITIAL AND ONGOING REVIEW
- ENSURES DOCUMENTATION OF PROJECT-RELATED PROCEDURES, PROCESSES AND EVENTS
- COMPLIES WITH THE PROPER USE AND STORAGE OF INVESTIGATIONAL AGENTS
- COMMUNICATION RESPONSIBILITY
- MARKETING AND PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- 8. MARKETING, AND CUSTOMER SERVICE
- Responsible to attend tradeshows and conferences as requested to service technical questions.
- Service technical questions for customers on technical assistance.
- Write protocols for kits or other Zymo Research kits.
- Attending educational workshops and seminars.
- MAINTAINS PROFESSIONAL AND TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE
Education and Experience:
PHD degree and a BS degree in Virology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Genetics, Immunology, or Molecular Biology preferable
5-8 years of laboratory experience
Scientific objectivity and focus
Ability to execute and deliver
Project and team leadership
Good Communication skills both written and verbal