Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. Life at Illumina is about working with teammates who are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives. We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Just check out our investor events and presentations to learn about our financial accomplishments. Our growth isn’t just in financials, we’ve been busy hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its World’s Smartest Companies each of the last three years. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you. Join the journey of a lifetime. Join Illumina.
The Packaging Engineer 2 will work with Illumina Manufacturing, Marketing, Graphic Design, Customer Service, Quality Assurance, Regulatory, Field Service and Legal departments to develop optimized and environmentally responsible packaging for all Illumina products. They will develop new product packaging based on unique requirements and maintain quality of existing packages for all product groups (encompassing instruments and consumables). This position is responsible for designing, sourcing, qualifying and releasing product packaging materials, shipping containers and product labels. Additionally, they will determine packaging requirements according to the nature of the product, cost limitations, legal requirements and the type of product protection required; taking into consideration the need for resistance to external variables. Finally, they will work cross-functionally to ensure product labeling is compliant with regulatory and country specific requirements.
All About You
Position requires the following:
- Work cross-functionally on complex problems in which analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors.
- Exercise judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Acquire and maintain a clear understanding of the technologies utilized in Illumina’s products, parts, and services.
- Team member on project teams responsible for developing package systems.
- Design and select primary, secondary and tertiary packaging components and suppliers.
- Write specifications and technical protocols/reports for primary, secondary and tertiary packaging components and associated qualifications and/or validations.
- Coordinate artwork/labeling development.
- Interface with internal teams and external suppliers to conduct packaging testing (including shipping validations) of packaging materials and packaged components.
- Develop and implement applicable procedures and work instructions for development aspects of packaging.
- Develop cold chain management systems including qualification and specifications.
- Other duties as assigned by the department manager.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities
• Must be proficient with PC applications including word documents and spreadsheets.
• Must have ability to analyze and troubleshoot issues.
• Effective verbal and written English communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills are a must.
• Ability to interface well with cross-functional teammates is critical to success in this position.
• Requires a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Packaging Engineering or related discipline.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at 858-246-8959. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf