An exceptional career opportunity for an experienced and highly motivated optical engineer. Pacific Biosciences is seeking the best for developing optical instrumentation that will revolutionize DNA sequencing. The Optical Engineer will work with the engineering and scientific teams to define, design and develop complex high performance light source and optical delivery systems for fluorescence-based sequencing. The individual must be a self-starter with excellent engineering and organizational skills.
• Define, design, and implement complex illumination systems used for low light level fluorescence detection
• Employ advanced modeling skills for optical performance predictions and tolerancing
• Employ advanced analytical and computational skills to interpret and visualize experimental test data
• Work closely with in-house optomechanical engineers and outside vendors to prototype breadboard systems for experimental verification of design concepts
• Work on projects from concept development stage and bring them to completion at the product delivery stage
• Work with suppliers to design, build and qualify various light sources and delivery systems per the specifications
• Write and negotiate clear specifications and test protocols for custom purchased optical components and systems.
• Work in multi-discipline engineering and scientific teams
• Design, build, and troubleshoot optical test apparatuses. Hands on qualification of incoming optical components.