The Operations Bioinformatics Scientist is responsible for operational support of a standardized next generation sequencing (NGS) pipeline and other software platforms for monitoring, analysis, integration, storage, update, validation, standard operating procedure updates, participating in QA activities, and reporting of complex data sets derived from NGS within a CLIA-accredited Clinical Laboratory.
- Act as the first point of contact to resolve operational issues connected to NGS programs, data processing, networking, compute, and storage infrastructure used for NGS.
- Support the standardized next generation sequencing (NGS) pipeline and other software platforms for the analysis, integration, storage and reporting of complex data sets derived from next generation sequencing within Quest’s CLIA-accredited Clinical Laboratory.
- Implement hardware, software, and 5S and Six Sigma processes to increase the operational efficiency, automation, data quality and usability of the NGS laboratory. Work with laboratory directors, operations managers, and medical technologists, IT Department, and Genomics Core group to improve the accuracy and usefulness of clinical and research data, and to validate new software tools for improved analysis, integration, storage and reporting of complex data sets.
- Generate and assist in the generation of documents meeting the requirements of Quest’s Quality Assurance and document control policies, including internal QA reports, standard operating procedures (SOPs), and release notes.
- Monitor and assist IT, Corporate Linux resources, and the Genomic Core Bioinformatics staff on the acquisition, setup, maintenance, and support of storage, compute and networking infrastructure required for NGS. Work with Genomics Core on process and performance improvement, including benchmarking and monitoring of network, disk I/O, and computational utilization to identify bottlenecks and recommend solutions to address issues arising in the operation.
- Support new methodologies and tools for the effective data mining of complex data sets on the current laboratory information system (LIS; e.g. Tandem and QLS) and Quest Insight database.