Open Targets is a novel public-private partnership to establish transformational experimental and informatics approaches to the problem of identification and prioritisation of potential drug targets in disease thereby providing better targets at the start of the drug development. A fundamental principle of the partnership is that the target validation space is pre-competitive and that all the data generated will be made available in a timely manner in the public domain.
This is an exciting opportunity to share in the development of Open Targets and to work at the interface of informatics, genomics and drug discovery. You will be involved in shaping the cutting-edge research programme across the Open Targets Partners, oversee development of novel informatics platforms for drug target identification and prioritisation and there is also opportunity to pursue some research in related areas.Your roleThe Informatics Science Director will develop new projects together with key scientists from the partner institutions (EMBL-EBI, Wellcome Sanger Institute, GSK, Biogen, Celgene, Takeda and Sanofi) by screening all potential projects and developing suitably aligned projects through to resourcing. The role may involve application for grants to secure additional funding around Open Targets science. In addition, the Informatics Science Director will be responsible for the management and development of the Open Targets Platform and Open Targets Genetics Portal, plus additional Open Targets data resources as they develop. The successful candidate will lead a growing team of bioinformaticians, consisting of approximately 12 staff members to achieve this goal.
- Develop a programme of informatics projects to deliver a cutting edge approach to target identification and prioritisation at Open Targets by working with scientists from the partners.
- Co-Direct the scientific programme of Open Targets and overall organizational strategy through regular meetings with Open Targets scientists including project leads.
- Ensure the integration of data outputs of the Open Targets programme into public domain databases and the Open Targets Platform.
- Work with the Open Targets Director to report scientific progress of the consortium to the Governance Board.
- Ensure effective scientific exchange within the consortium via lab meetings, consortium integration days, etc.
- Promote the activities of Open Targets through interactions with the consortium members and external groups to maximize the scientific outputand prepare scientific publications.
- Promote Open Targets science to other pharma companies to foster potential new partners.
- Where appropriate, identify and apply for additional funding streams around Open Targets science including external grants.
- Manage the Open Targets Core bioinformatics group(s) to deliver Open Targets Services, and to develop scientific methods for enhanced target identification and prioritization.
- Liaise with the Open Targets Joint Patent Committee on prospective Open Targets inventions and technology.