The ideal candidate will have the passion, energy, confidence and experience to improve the existing laboratory operations while bringing new technologies and methodologies into service. He/she will be able to lead and manage as well as work on the bench when necessary. The position entails managing all clinical genetic technologies, bioinformatics, protocol and methods design, training and supervising staff to use standard and new genetics and diagnostic technologies as required in its CLIA laboratories. The individual will manage all scientific and technical aspects of clinical testing and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) including sample workflows, equipment, consumables and quality assurance to ensure all clinical testing is executed in a timely manner and to the highest possible quality and customer service standards.
The position requires the candidate to be extremely organized, have first class technical ability, and have experience building and managing a team in a high throughput environment. Working to tight deadlines, flexibility in approach, exceptional communication skills and attention to detail are essential. The position reports directly to the Vice President of Operations.
Principal Duties, Responsibilities and Competencies:
- Detailed knowledge and extensive experience with microarray and NGS are required and experience with other molecular, genetics and diagnostic technologies are ideal. This includes sample management including DNA extraction, automated laboratory technologies and LIMS.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and proactively in a rapidly growing and changing environment while performing a wide range of highly technical and complex research and laboratory tests and procedures.
- Hires, manages and supervises laboratory staff.
- Designs, analyzes and interprets the results of studies.
- Responsible for reporting out results to clients in a timely manner.
- Investigates and recommends alternative approaches to improve the quality of results in the laboratory as necessary.
- Manages project related information systems and databases and has experience with laboratory information management systems (LIMS).
- Implements new approaches and techniques into laboratory protocols when required.
- Supervises staff by orienting and training in specialized procedures as necessary.
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations including CLIA and CAP as well as safety.
- Responsible for keeping an inventory of laboratory consumables and interacting with vendors to obtain competitive pricing on consumables.
- Demonstrates a high level of ethics in all aspects of professional practice.
- Prepares budgets, quotations and invoices when required.