Microinjectionist (Senior Research Associate) - 80172
The Genomics Division at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) has an immediate opportunity for a Microinjectionist (Senior Research Associate). Under the general direction of the principal investigators, will assist with research in production of transgenic and knockout mouse models by performing pronuclear and blastocyst injections. Participate in ongoing research projects to identify regulatory elements of importance in cardiovascular, craniofacial and brain development and diseases. Collect, organize and provide preliminary analysis of the experimental data.
• Oversee aspects of transgenic and knockout production including embryo production, recovery, and day to day operation and maintenance of the transgenic facility.
• Manipulate mouse embryos to generate transgenic and knockout mice by performing the following techniques: Pronuclear and blastocyst injections, surgically implanting eggs and blastocysts into pseudopregnant mice, inducing super-ovulation in mice by injecting hormones (weekdays and weekends), identifying pseudo-pregnant recipients for embryo transfers by checking vaginal plugs, and collecting mouse eggs and blastocysts
• Perform general animal husbandry procedures (wean, ear tag, tail tip).
• Perform qualitative and quantitative assays on DNA.
• Design experiments and perform preliminary analysis and interpret results.
• Participate in ongoing research projects, analyze data and offer insight into the specifics of experimental results.
• Troubleshoot and optimize current protocols to meet scientific research goals.
• Maintain mouse lineages.
• Collect adult and embryonic mouse tissues.
• Maintain an accurate and detailed laboratory notebook of all experiments performed.
• Genotype mice by isolating genomic DNA and performing PCR.
• Communicate regularly with supervisor, and researchers regarding project progress and future needs.
• Preferred - Purify plasmid DNA for microinjections
• Preferred - Generate ES (embryonic stem) cell aggregate chimeras
• Preferred - Cryopreserve mouse eggs and sperm
• Preferred - Rederive mouse embryos