The Shivanand R Patil Cytogenetics and Molecular lab, within the Stead Family Department of Pediatrics, is seeking a Medical Laboratory Technician. The lab utilizes classical and molecular cytogenetic techniques, including chromosome analysis, fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) and chromosomal microarray (CMA), for diagnosis or treatment in cancer and constitutional genetic disorders. In this role, the laboratory technician will perform components of cytogenetic and molecular cytogenetic studies according to established laboratory protocols and work to maintain and improve the clinical testing environment, capabilities and quality of data in the laboratory.
This position is first shift (8am – 5am) and must be able to accommodate approximately 5-6 Saturday workdays and one holiday every year as part of a rotating schedule with other technologists.
Duties to include:
- Perform high-complexity testing on clinical biological specimens such as blood, bone marrow, tissue and body fluids.
- Able to properly manage time based on established priorities.
- Perform appropriate documentation and maintain accurate and legible records.
- Perform routine quality control, maintenance, calibration, and assist in troubleshooting of laboratory instruments.
- Evaluate quality control results and initiate corrective action when QC metrics are not acceptable.
- Maintain inventory and orders supplies as needed.
- Perform a variety of cytogenetic procedures that may include:
- Cell culture and harvest
- Slide preparation, chromosome banding and karyotype analysis
- FISH slide preparation and analysis
- DNA extraction and processing DNA for applications including PCR, chromosomal microarray (CMA) and next generation sequencing (NGS)
- Begin and ensure proper execution of analytic pipelines for both CMA and NGS clinical tests
- Accept and apply feedback in a positive, constructive manner.
- Assist in a positive and professional manner with bench training for other laboratory colleagues within the section.
- Participate in lab section meetings with others to discuss quality testing, workflow, efficiency strategies, problematic areas, and laboratory improvement.
- Maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students and the public.
- Ability to work with a variety of individuals and groups in a constructive and civil manner while appreciating the unique contribution of individuals from varied cultures, nationalities, genders, ages, etc.
- Ability to utilize existing resources and learning to achieve or exceed desired outcomes of current and future organizational goals/needs. Able to demonstrate ethical behavior in diverse situations while producing results.
- Ability to meet or exceed customer service needs and expectations and provide excellent service in a direct or indirect manner. Ability to effectively transmit and interpret information through appropriate communication with internal and external customers.
The department is posting the Medical Laboratory Technician (requisition 20003027) in conjunction with the Cytogenetic Lab Specialist II (requisition 20003028) and intends to hire based on the qualifications of the successful candidate. Please apply to the specific position for which you wish to be considered or both.
The Stead Family Department of Pediatrics and UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital
The Stead Family Department of Pediatrics is a national leader in pediatric medicine. The Department's mission is to provide outstanding care to the children of Iowa and beyond by being a leader in state-of-the-art clinical care to children, performing cutting-edge research to find new treatments and cures for childhood illnesses, and educating the next generation of pediatric health care providers. The Department comprises the medical and research staff of UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital. UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital is one of the nation’s top-ranked pediatric care and research institutions, and Iowa’s only comprehensive children’s hospital.
Division of Medical Genetics and Genomics
The Division of Medical Genetics and Genomics is committed to excellence in providing comprehensive services for children, adults and prenatal patients in the diagnosis, treatment, and management of genetic conditions. The Division's multidisciplinary team is comprised of board certified medical geneticists, a molecular genetic pathologist, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, genetic counselors, nurses, and dietitians. Our clinics include: General Genetics Clinics, Metabolic Genetics Clinics, Connective Tissue Disorder Clinics, Neurofibromatosis Clinics and Outreach Genetics Clinics. Genetic diseases and disorders affect families as well as individuals. The medical team provides the information, support and follow-up needed to make informed decisions. Our medical genetics team collaborates with state and federal agencies, educators, researchers, support groups and others to provide the latest information and treatment options for Iowans and their families.
The Shivanand R. Patil Cytogenetics and Molecular Laboratory is located within the Division of Medical Genetics and Genomics. The lab is a nationally accredited, CAP-inspected, CLIA certified facility that tests and analyzes subtle changes in genes and chromosomes to assist in the diagnosis of complex developmental problems in children and adults using state-of-the-art methods. The laboratory performs conventional chromosome analysis, fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH), and chromosomal microarrays for a myriad of indications including cancer diagnosis/prognosis as well as both post and pre-natal genetics.
Percent of Time: 100%
Schedule: Monday-Friday 8am-5pm
Rotations: 5-6 Saturday workdays and one holiday every year as part of a rotating schedule with other technologists
Pay Grade: 4 - SEIU Pay Plan: https://hr.uiowa.edu/pay/pay-plans/seiu-pay-plan
- Regular salaried position located in Iowa City, Iowa
- Fringe benefit package including paid vacation; sick leave; health, dental, life and disability insurance options; and generous employer contributions into retirement plans
- For more information about Why Iowa?, click here
- A Bachelor’s degree in a chemical, biological, clinical laboratory science, or medical technology program from an accredited institution, or:
- Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) or a categorical/specialist certification in the appropriate laboratory discipline or eligible from American Society for Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or National Credentialing Agency (NCA), or:
- Successfully completed an official US military medical laboratory procedures training course of at least 50 weeks duration and have held the military enlisted occupational specialty of Medical Laboratory Specialist (Laboratory Technician) is required.
- Six months to one year experience with project coordination including time management, decision making, and self-direction in biology, chemistry or allied health or a similar discipline.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Selected candidates will be expected to successfully pass the ASCP Cytogenetics Technologist Certification exam within two years from the date of hire.
- Greater than two years of demonstrated experience working in either a clinical laboratory and/or a molecular research laboratory
- Six months to one year experience with basic tissue culture.
- Demonstrated experience with DNA extraction using established protocol.
- Knowledge of FISH techniques and/or use of molecular probe systems.
- Knowledge of chromosomal microarray (CMA) and/or next generation sequencing (NGS) technologies.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a chemical, biological, or clinical laboratory sciences or related field is highly desirable.
- Certification from American Society for Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or National Credentialing Agency (NCA) as a Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) is highly desirable.
Application Process: In order to be considered, applicants must upload a resume and cover letter (under submission relevant materials) that clearly address how they meet the listed required and desired qualifications of this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days. Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on September 28, 2020.
Successful candidates will be subject to a credential and criminal background check.
This position is not eligible for University sponsorship for employment authorization.
- Classification Title: Medical Lab Technician
- Appointment Type: SEIU
- Schedule: Full-time
- Pay Level: 4
- Organization: Healthcare
- Contact Name: Stead Family Department of Pediatrics Human Resources
- Contact Email: [email protected]