This is a temporary full-time opportunity is located in Kirkland, Washington at Evergreen Hospital with the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance team.
Performs venipuncture phlebotomy in the collection of blood specimens from patients and research participants. Performs specimen processing of blood specimens as defined. Role may include assisting with bone marrow aspiration procedures
- Performs venipuncture phlebotomy on patients, and research participants.
- Verbally verifies patient identification before all phlebotomy procedures with two unique identifiers.
- Verbally verifies patient allergy status prior to phlebotomy procedures as required by the department Patient Allergy Management Policy/Procedure.
- Labels specimens as required in the Specimen Labeling policy and procedure.
- Utilizes universal precautions in handling specimens. Wears appropriate and required personal protective equipment.
- Performs accurate Lab Information System (LIS) operations including order entry, inquiry, crediting & canceling functions
- Applies appropriate phlebotomy procedure charges. Takes action to prevent duplicate phlebotomy charge generation for same patient on same date.
- Accurately follows SCCA Mislabeled and Unlabeled Specimen policy & procedure.
- Participates in Quality Improvement/Quality Assurance programs Compliance with SCCA hand hygiene program.
- Complies with SCCA patient ID program.
- Records deviations from standard policies, procedures and practices in Patient Safety Net accurately and where required.
- Acts as a courteous & polite representative of the SCCA. Answers patient and customer questions and provides assistance in professional, courteous manner
Promotes & maintains effective communication as evidenced by:
- Demonstrates respect of ideas, opinions and feelings of others.
- Seeking help and problem solving as needed
- Giving and receiving appropriate feedback.
- Handles confidential information appropriately.
- Follows organizational and departmental policies and procedures
Patient Care Staff:
Demonstrates consistent compliance with hand hygiene practice. Demonstrates consistent compliance with Respiratory Virus Plan in managing symptomatic patients and performing self assessment and not working when ill. Demonstrates consistent compliance with Isolation Plan by isolating patients with contagious symptoms, following procedures as written and participating in patient education.
Demonstrates consistent compliance with hand hygiene practice. Demonstrates consistent compliance with Respiratory Virus Plan in performing self assessment and not working when ill.Culture of Safety: Takes action to protect healthcare recipients from harm
- Team member is knowledgeable of SCCA safe practice guidelines, policies and understands the safe practice performance expectations that apply to their specific role or job duties.
- Team member views safety as a top priority and works to prevent harm to patients and others.
- Team member speaks up and advocates for patient safety when it is being compromised.
- Team member reports errors and near misses that occur in the workplace objectively and in a non-blaming manner.
- Team member participates in open communication about errors, near misses in an atmosphere of trust and respect.
- Team member views errors and near misses that occur in the workplace as opportunities to improve SCCA systems and processes; provides recommendations for improvement.
Teamwork and Collaboration:
Upholds a positive and non-intimidating workplace
- Team member treats others with professionalism and respect.
- Team member works collaboratively to solve problems.
- Team member does not criticize or blame others.
- - Team member communicates in a truthful and direct manner.
- - Team member respects thoughts and ideas of others.
Patient-Family Centered Care:
Provides care and services to patients and families in a respectful, caring, and professional manner.
- Team member supports a culture of service to our patients and families.
- Team member encourages patients and families to ask questions and be involved in their care.
- Team member asks questions to understand individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
- Team member keeps families informed with timely, complete and accurate information.
- Team member ensures that patient and family preferences and values guide all clinical care and service decisions.
- Team member works with the PFCC department to incorporate applicable input from Patient and Family Advisors.
HIPAA - Patient Privacy
Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of patient privacy rights. Maintains confidentiality of all medical, financial, or other sensitive materials and information in printed, electronic or verbal form, which may jeopardize the privacy of patients. Accesses and uses the minimum necessary patient identifiable information to perform job responsibilities and duties and only for authorized purposes.
HIPAA - Employee Privacy
Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of and maintains confidentiality of employee information and SCCA strategic plans and initiative, financial information or other sensitive materials and information in printed, electronic or verbal form, which may jeopardize employee rights or organization's operations. Accesses and uses the minimum necessary employee and organization information to perform job responsibilities and duties and only for authorized purposes.
- High school graduation or the equivalent.
- Completion of phlebotomy training course and/or one year of experience of phlebotomy practice in a health care setting.
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally required.
- WA State Medical Assistant certification (active)
- Prior MA experience in a clinic setting strongly preferred
- Preferred specimen handling and processing experience
- Multi-lingual preferred
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
If interested, please apply online at http://track.tmpservice.com/ApplyClick.aspx?id=2315110-2647-8921