The medical assistant assists in the delivery of patient care and other activities under the direction and supervision of an assigned Registered Nurse. Provides support to the registered nurse, physician, physician assistant or nurse practitioner in the delivery of care. Responsible for the efficient flow of patients throughout their stay in the Infusion Department and/or Medical Oncology & Hematology Clinic. Assists members of the health care team with delegated procedures. Performs nursing tasks and activities as delegated/supervised by a Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse and is delegated to and takes direction from an MD and/or ARNP for provision of medical care.
- Assists in clinic flow by efficiently rooming patients, assisting providers with patient care, performing diagnostic screening tests and procedures, such as ECG's
- Interviews clients to obtain current medication profile and patient status. Obtains vital signs, as well as pertinent medical, social and nutritional history
- Documents patient status, including vital signs, allergies, medication profile and history in health care record
- Communicates appropriately to health care providers in regards to clinic flow, status of issues impacting flow, patient delay, schedule changes, etc.
- Recognizes symptoms of common illness and complaints, abnormal versus normal, and new and or changing symptoms; reports to health care provider in person or via telephone; and follows-up with patients as ordered/directed by health care provider
- Collects, prepares and submits specimens and requisitions for processing
- Maintains cleanliness and order of exam rooms, including stocking of supplies
- Preps and prepares medical record/clinical information for patient visit per guidelines, which may include lab values and diagnostic reports. Files paperwork into medical record per established guidelinesPrints schedules for health care providers and/or patients, including all pertinent information for that patient's itinerary
- Assures appropriate information is available for visit (education materials, consents, and outside department information)
- Requests medical records from HIM, as appropriate, and follows established guidelines for filing, medical record control, and medical record keeping procedures.
- Demonstrates skill in working as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Acts professionally in all interactions
- Responds to clinic emergencies per policy
- Assists front office staff, as needed
- Other duties as may be assigned to assure safe, efficient patient care and patient experience
Patient Care Staff:
Demonstrates consistent compliance with hand hygiene practice. Demonstrates consistent compliance with Respiratory Virus Plan in managing symptomatic patients and performing self assessment and not working when ill. Demonstrates consistent compliance with Isolation Plan by isolating patients with contagious symptoms, following procedures as written and participating in patient education.
Teamwork and Collaboration: Upholds a positive and non-intimidating workplace
- Team member treats others with professionalism and respect.
- Team member works collaboratively to solve problems.
- Team member does not criticize or blame others.
- Team member communicates in a truthful and direct manner.
- Team member respects thoughts and ideas of others.
Culture of Safety:
- Takes action to protect healthcare recipients from harm
- Team member is knowledgeable of SCCA safe practice guidelines, policies and understands the safe practice performance expectations that apply to their specific role or job duties.
- Team member views safety as a top priority and works to prevent harm to patients and others.
- Team member speaks up and advocates for patient safety when it is being compromised.
- Team member reports errors and near misses that occur in the workplace objectively and in a non-blaming manner.
- Team member participates in open communication about errors, near misses in an atmosphere of trust and respect.
- Team member views errors and near misses that occur in the workplace as opportunities to improve SCCA systems and processes; provides recommendations for improvement.
Patient-Family Centered Care: Provides care and services to patients and families in a respectful, caring, and professional manner.
- Team member supports a culture of service to our patients and families.
- Team member encourages patients and families to ask questions and be involved in their care.
- Team member asks questions to understand individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
- Team member keeps families informed with timely, complete and accurate information.
- Team member ensures that patient and family preferences and values guide all clinical care and service decisions.
- Team member works with the PFCC department to incorporate applicable input from Patient and Family Advisors.
HIPAA - Patient Privacy
Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of patient privacy rights. Maintains confidentiality of all medical, financial, or other sensitive materials and information in printed, electronic or verbal form, which may jeopardize the privacy of patients. Accesses and uses the minimum necessary patient identifiable information to perform job responsibilities and duties and only for authorized purposes.
HIPAA - Employee Privacy
Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of, and maintains confidentiality of employee information and SCCA strategic plans and initiatives, financial information or other sensitive materials and information in printed, electronic or verbal form, which may jeopardize employee right or organization's operations. Accesses and uses the minimum necessary employee and organization information to perform job responsibilities an duties and only for authorized purposes.
- Certification as a medical assistant either as a Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) through Washington State Department of Health
- Current BLS (American Heart Association) Health Care Provider
- 1-2 years of clinical experience strongly preferred
- Past oncology experience preferred
- Proficient in phlebotomy strongly preferred
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Proficient in computer skills to support operations
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment -multi task, prioritize and problem solve, meet deadlines and work under time constraints
- Knowledge of medical terminology, occupational hazards and safety procedures, infection control and universal precautions, laboratory procedures including phlebotomy
- Skill in working in a multidisciplinary team
- Patient interviewing skills
- Aid in response to emergency patient situations and summon health care providers in a timely and appropriate manager
If interested, please apply online at http://track.tmpservice.com/ApplyClick.aspx?id=2248769-2647-421