We are looking for intelligent, motivated, enthusiastic individuals to join our Twist Bioscience Operations Team in San Francisco. The DNA Synthesis Specialist will be responsible for the manufacture of oligonucleotides for downstream processing using Twist Bioscience’s proprietary process workflow and to meet the Twist production forecast and timelines.
The ideal candidate will be driven and will do what it takes to keep DNA synthesis manufacturing on track in a fast paced start-up environment. The DNA Synthesis Specialist will produce oligos according to established SOPs and complete manufacturing batch records to contribute to the daily production schedule. The ideal candidate will work independently, be very neat and organized, have basic knowledge and operation of equipment used in DNA synthesis, contribute to process improvement and documentation, and communicate effectively with peers / management. Knowledge of good laboratory practices (GLPs) is important. The Candidate must be comfortable working in a LEAN manufacturing/ controlled laboratory environment.
SHIFT: 7:00 PM-7:30 AM shift 12h day/ 3d /4d alt work week with 1 weekend day
Roles and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the:
- Manufacture high quality custom gene products in a high throughput MFG lab according to established SOPs.
- Maintain thorough, accurate and detailed documentation/ databases of all work produced in batch records, databases or other acceptable formats including problems and deviations
- Operation of automated equipment used to synthesize DNA.
- Familiar with DNA phosphoramidites and mixing with solvents.
- Moisture testing phosphoramidites
- Keen observation and attitude to proactively identify production problems/ solutions, provide solutions on lab techniques, protocols, processes, handling of product and equipment
- Upholding standards as defined by the manufacturing process
- Continuous improvement and good time management resulting in efficiency
- Support cost improvement initiatives by reducing failures, improving capacity and using supplies wisely. Reduce work in process, queues and cycle times
- Work in a safe manner
- Maintenance and calibration of select lab equipment
- Analytical characterization of DNA synthesis products
Key Skills include demonstrated knowledge and/or hands on experience with basic lab techniques and equipment/ automation such as:
- Liquid handling ( manual pipetting )
- Karl Fischer instrumentation
- Oligonucleotide synthesis
- Experience with PCA/PCR process a plus
- Basic computer skills, especially with excel and MS Office products, statistics, JIRA, Confluence, SAP and MFG databases
- Analytical Instruments: Spectroscopy ( Qubit, Nanodrop, plate reader), HPLC, CE ( BioAnalyzer, Fragment Analyzer)