The incumbent will serve as the Manager in the Technology Innovation division at NYGC, the research arm of the sequencing division that focuses on creating and implementing novel techniques in next-generation sequencing (NGS). Therefore, the successful candidate will need to be of very high intellectual caliber, and display a track record of extraordinary inventiveness and a high capability for independent thought. The position also involves scientific interaction with research groups within NYGC and among NY-area hospitals / research institutions with which NYGC has established collaborative partnerships.
Essential responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Coordinate and manage the interdisciplinary Technology Innovation research team comprised of biological chemists, molecular biologists, and engineers.
- Function within a management team comprising leaders from Technology Innovation, Development, and Production. The ability to collaborate and matrix-manage projects and personnel is essential.
- Create and manage NGS research initiatives and projects, including, but not limited to, efforts in:
- Single-cell genomics
- NGS-related microfluidic instrumentation and associated methods
- Liquid biopsy (cell-free DNA) analysis of plasma
- Formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded (FFPE) tissue extraction and sequencing
- Design and implement new RNA platform technologies, including small-RNA sequencing methods (miRNA, RNA-protein interaction methods, etc).
- Develop biological and chemical reagents and methods as needed.
- Identify and evaluate commercial technologies to determine their appropriateness and usefulness in Technology Innovation. Be and stay at the forefront of library preparation and sequencing technologies.
- Assist in establishment and troubleshooting of production SOPs.
The responsibilities listed above will require the incumbent to participate in the scientific community of the lab and the rest of the genome center. To do so will require the following:
- Acting as a liaison between the labs and senior management.
- Hiring and supervision of scientific personnel in Technology Innovation.
- Manuscript preparation and presentations as needed.
- Coordination and communication with Business Development and Legal regarding collaborative ventures, new technology assets and IP developed in the lab.