Cepheid is looking for a highly motivated, logically data-driven, and collaborative manager for our highly cross-functional System Integration team, which comprises of engineers possessing diverse skill sets drawn from mechanical, electrical, and optical engineering, biology, fluidics development, bioengineering, and test engineering.
The System Integration (SI) charter is both to integrate new hardware, consumables, software, and other technologies into fully functional instrumentation platforms that support Cepheid assay products and to supply the core knowledge base for how all aspects of Cepheid products function. Responsibilities of the SI group cover a wide range of cross-functional areas, including development and test of new instrument and consumable platforms as well as assay design support, internal technical support and training, test method development, software and firmware requirements development, failure investigation and troubleshooting.
- Day-to-day management of a cross functional team of eight engineers working on multiple simultaneous sub-projects.
- Prioritize activities and balance schedules and resources to drive projects to successful on-time completion
- Cross-functional collaboration on projects involving multiple business functions, including Biology R&D, Instruments R&D, Software, Technical Support, Service, Consumables R&D, and Failure Investigation
- Manage the integration of instrument, consumable, reagent, and software components to create fully functionally verified instrumentation systems.
- Work collaboratively with other Engineering functions in the design of innovative and robust instrumentation platforms.
- Integration tasks will include both support of existing GX platforms and development of new instrumentation systems.
- Devise new test methods for systems including hardware, consumables and software.
- Perform design tasks on cross-functional teams including engineering, software, and manufacturing.
- Consult with various internal groups on product performance issues involving hardware, cartridge fluidics and software.
- Maintain internal knowledge base of GeneXpert product hardware, software, consumable, reagent, and fluidic design and performance history as well as cross-functional implementation of design rules.
- Hands-on development work to support new instrumentation and consumables platforms.
- Bachelors degree or equivalent in a relevant field such as Physics, Applied Physics, Biology, Bioengineering, Mechanical Engineering, Fluidics, etc.
- At least 5 years of progressive experience as a hands-on engineer or product developer (e.g. System Integration Engineer, System Development Engineer or related occupation)
- Demonstrated supervisory experience in effectively managing cross-functional teams to meet and exceed team goals
- Must have experience with developing and integrating complex OEM hardware systems which incorporate optical, mechanical, thermal, and firmware components
- Data analysis expertise and experience with various data analysis software packages such as Origin, Matlab, Mathematica, Minitab or other
- Well-developed mathematical and statistical analysis skills
- Must have strong integration analytical and troubleshooting skills to understand system interfaces and be able to quickly analyze, troubleshoot, and resolve system interoperability problems
- Working knowledge of design of experiments, interpretation of test results, failure investigation and root cause failure analysis
- Excellent communication skills. Must be able to communicate verbally in an efficient and effective manner and be proficient in written documentation and technical presentations. Must be effective at communication with all levels of employees
- Demonstrated ability to understand and comply with applicable FDA regulations and Company operating procedures, processes, policies and tasks