Join one of biotech's most successful companies to create world-class software with the best and brightest in the industry. Illumina is looking for an exceptional technical leader and functional manager to join our Instrument SW Test organization. This team writes the software that powers all aspects of Illumina’s genome sequencing instruments. Development is primarily in C# using the .NET framework running on an embedded Windows PC.
This role fills a critical leadership position in the organization, and the successful candidate must have extensive experience in leading software test engineering projects, creating and driving detailed planning and scheduling, and representing software test in cross-functional product/project teams. The role is also responsible for people management of the team of software engineers, including staffing, performance management, and development of those resources. The environment requires delivery of complex components to challenging timelines, so this leader must be able to achieve high levels of efficiency and coordination, motivating their team and working effectively with senior management to ensure that critical projects are delivered on time.
- Lead an Instrument/Data Analysis Software Test team of up to 6 engineers. Manage manual, automated and regression testing in addition to process efficiency and standardization
- Create and drive the detailed test planning and test schedule activities for multiple SW projects
- Manage staffing, performance management, coaching, task assignment, training, and individual’s development.
- Drive all aspects of the software testing process for the team, from sprint planning to daily scrum meetings and sprint demos
- Actively participate in the Instrument SW leadership team ensuring the delivery of high quality software
- Ensure testing is in compliance with relevant development and functional processes
- Promote and drive innovation in technologies, processes, and tools for cutting-edge SW development
- Learn and have fun with some of the smartest cross functional engineers in Product Development
Required Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, or related engineering field
- 5-10+ years of experience in the software test/development field, with embedded SW experience a strong plus
- 5+ years of experience managing a test or development team
- Strong experience and knowledge of agile scrum methodologies used to deliver complex software components
- High level of comfort with SW architecture and object oriented design concepts
- Exceptional problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Self-starter with excellent communication skills
- Proven ability to mentor and coach engineers in day-to-day scenarios as well as develop their skills over the long term
- Experience participating in and driving cross-organizational or inter-company collaboration
- Must thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with challenging schedules
- Experience with C# and the .NET Framework, using managed technologies like ASP.NET and ServiceStack, strongly desired
- Experience in biotech is a plus, as is experience with developing SW to FDA clinical standards
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.
Illumina is improving human health by unlocking the power of the genome. Our focus on innovation has established us as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies, serving customers in the research, clinical and applied markets. Our products are used for applications in the life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging segments. To learn more, visit www.illumina.com and follow @illumina.
We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Our revenue grew from $10 million in 2002 to approximately $2.4 billion in 2016. Our growth isn’t just revenue; we’ve been hiring the best and the brightest. That’s why MIT ranked Illumina near the top of its World’s Smartest Companies list three years running, including #1 in 2014. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you – imagine the possibilities.