Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. Life at Illumina is about working with teammates who are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives. We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Just check out our investor events and presentations to learn about our financial accomplishments. Our growth isn’t just in financials, we’ve been busy hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its World’s Smartest Companies each of the last three years. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you. Join the journey of a lifetime. Join Illumina.
Join one of biotech's most successful companies to create world-class software with the best and brightest in the industry. Illumina is looking for an exceptional technical leader and functional manager to join our Instrument SW Test organization. This team writes the software that powers all aspects of Illumina’s genome sequencing instruments. Development is primarily in C# using the .NET framework running on an embedded Windows PC.
This role fills a critical leadership position in the organization, and the successful candidate must have extensive experience in leading software test engineering projects, creating and driving detailed planning and scheduling, and representing software test in cross-functional product/project teams. The role is also responsible for people management of the team of software engineers, including staffing, performance management, and development of those resources. The environment requires delivery of complex components to challenging timelines, so this leader must be able to achieve high levels of efficiency and coordination, motivating their team and working effectively with senior management to ensure that critical projects are delivered on time.
All About You
• Lead an Instrument/Data Analysis Software Test team of up to 6 engineers. Manage manual, automated and regression testing in addition to process efficiency and standardization.
• Create and drive the detailed test planning and test schedule activities for multiple SW projects.
• Manage staffing, performance management, coaching, task assignment, training, and individual’s development.
• Drive all aspects of the software testing process for the team, from sprint planning to daily scrum meetings and sprint demos.
• Actively participate in the Instrument SW leadership team ensuring the delivery of high quality software by shifting left
• Ensure testing is in compliance with relevant development and functional processes.
• Promote and drive innovation in technologies, processes, and tools for cutting-edge SW development
• Learn and have fun with some of the smartest cross functional engineers in Product Development
• Bachelors, Masters, or Phd degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, or related engineering field, or equivalent experience.
• 5-10+ years of experience in the software test/development field, with embedded SW experience a strong plus
• 5+ years of experience managing a test or development team
• Strong experience and knowledge of agile scrum methodologies used to deliver complex software components
• High level of comfort with SW architecture and object oriented design concepts
• Exceptional problem solving and troubleshooting skills
• Self-starter with excellent communication skills
• Proven ability to mentor and coach engineers in day-to-day scenarios as well as develop their skills over the long term
• Experience participating in and driving cross-organizational or inter-company collaboration
• Must thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with challenging schedules
• Experience with C# and the .NET Framework, using managed technologies like ASP.NET and ServiceStack, strongly desired
• Experience in biotech is a plus, as is experience with developing SW to FDA clinical standards
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at 858-246-8959. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf