Job Title: Manager, Laboratory (Temporary)
Reports To: VP, Operations
The lab manager serves as co-director of the UCD NGS lab managing the end to end workflow. This workflow can include quality control, project design and initiation, project management, technical assistance. The lab also supports projects external to UCD as required. This position can operate independently without direct supervision, and requires some decision making.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Works closely with UCD co-lab director on the promotion, processing, and communication of UCD projects.
- Works closely with the BGI America’s organization in the processing of customer projects.
- Processes NGS projects according to strict methodologies, procedures, protocols and/or customer requirement and makes judgment based decisions as necessary
- Ensures laboratory equipment is functioning properly to carry out laboratory tests and covered either under contract or routine maintenance plans; Providing in-depth technical assistance regarding the instrument malfunction and/or routine troubleshooting
- Independently analyzes, interprets, and reviews testing results
- Implements all safety and quality assurance policies and procedures for the entire laboratory environment
- Optimize and implement new workflow, SOPs, and available lab services when necessary
- Provides up-to-date status and technical inputs to project management team
- Management and development to direct staff
- Perform other work related duties as assigned.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- May serve as technical resource for customer projects.
- Creates timely reports on lab operations performance.
- Drives continuous improvement in all aspects of lab operations.