We are seeking a highly proficient and motivated Linux Systems Administrator to join the Systems Applications team. Located within a beautiful rural research campus in Hinxton, near Cambridge, EMBL-EBI offers a unique opportunity to acquire professional experience in an international scientific environment with access to a wide range of cutting edge technologies.
The Systems Applications team consists of 15 System Administrators responsible for clouds, virtual infrastructures, database administration, operations and desktop services. We are recruiting for a Systems Administrator who will help to form the new operations team, reporting to the Systems Applications team leader. The operations team are working to automate the deployment and ongoing management of Linux VMs across both VMware and OpenStack platforms as well as externally provided cloud environments.
The main responsibilities will include:
- Development of automation processes to deploy and manage VMs across internal and Cloud infrastructures;
- Provision, management & security of the RHEL Operating System layer in 1,100 VMs & 100 Linux desktops:
○ Installation & configuration of the Operating System
○ Security & other updates to the operating systems
○ Installation & configuration of software (not user space S/W)
○ Mounting & unmounting of NFS exports
○ User permissions & Sudo management
○ Provide support to EBI users
- Support, management & development of software services to EBI’s 550 users:
○ Email (cyrus, sendmail, postfix)
○ Federated Identity (shibboleth)
○ Ticketing system (request tracker)
- In collaboration with the Cloud team:
○ Monitoring of server performance
○ Development & maintenance of server templates
○ Development & maintenance of standard practices
- Technology evaluations; rapid prototyping;
- Providing support and documentation to the EMBL-EBI user community and the team;
- Continuous improvement of our IT infrastructure and support process based on the needs of EMBL-EBI users and stakeholders.