Each employee’s specific job responsibilities are uniquely defined by their individual training plan and assigned duties, but are generally defined as follows:
• Major tasks include, macrodissection of tumor tissue, specimen registering and troubleshooting, slide labeling, slide scanning, and slide filing.
• Complying with the laboratory’s technical, administrative and safety policies and
• Participating in the laboratory’s quality assurance plan, adhering to quality control and preventive maintenance policies and appropriately documenting these activities.
• Following the laboratory’s policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within acceptable limits and documenting the problem and any corrective action.
• Troubleshooting and identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance and/or reporting of test results by initiating corrective action and using the defined electronic system to make the required management notification.
• Participating in proficiency testing in the same manner as routine samples.
• Actively participating in successful and timely completion of training and competency assessment as outlined in the laboratory and departmental training programs.
• Will work under the direct supervision of an employee competent on the task and all work will be reviewed by laboratory management.
• Participating in continuing education according to accepted laboratory standards.
• Participates within the departmental team to resolve problems or implement projects.
Supporting documentation for the education and experience requirements are maintained in the employee’s personnel file.
Meets minimum regulatory and internal education and experience requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree with some science background or laboratory experience preferred, OR
• An Associate’s degree in medical laboratory technology or a chemical, physical or biological science with 6 months of laboratory experience or enrolled in college level science courses, OR
• High School Diploma or equivalent and 2 years of clinical laboratory experience