There is an immediate opening for an experienced, highly-motivated and energetic Principal Scientist or Fellow with experience in mammalian cell line development and protein production to join the Cell Line Development group in the Integrated Biologics Profiling (IBP) Department. IBP is an early development group in the Biologics Technical Development and Manufacturing (BTDM) unit that works with various project teams to identify monoclonal antibodies and therapeutic protein drug candidates with suitable manufacturability characteristics and to establish cell lines for the manufacturing drug substance for pre-clinical and clinical/commercial supply. The successful applicant will lead and manage a small team in the establishment of documented stable cell lines engineered to express antibodies/therapeutic proteins and producing cell culture for purification of protein for analysis. In this role, you will work closely with the cell line community and the production community within IBP. You will also act as a Functional Lead with partner organizations to select final cell lines using state of the art technologies (FACS, lab automation, and NGS), prepare regulatory filing documents and source documents, and answer questions from health authorities on cell line documentation. You will participate in departmental subteams for pipeline projects and contribute to technology development initiatives to improve the performance of the existing expression systems and processes.
• Actively participate in teams, projects, and networks. Fulfill all related tasks and responsibilities related to own discipline.
• Meet quality, quantity and timelines in all assigned projects, and networks.
• Design, plan, perform and monitor all assigned activities.
• Document and interpret results, evaluate data, draw relevant conclusions, write reports.
• Generate scientific and international registration documents for internal and/or external partners (TechOps, health authorities, external companies).
• Proactively communicate key issues and any other critical topics in a timely manner to the appropriate management level and/or to any other relevant project team member(s).
• Advise team members and work according to appropriate SOP's, GLP, GMP, OQM, HSE, ISEC and Novartis guidelines.
• Coach/lead team members: support objectives setting, performance evaluations and career development planning discussions.
• Contribute to evaluation of new scientific technologies/equipment.
• Support the journey towards a multi-skilled, highly innovative and motivated workforce operating in a self-directed team set-up.
• Support cultural evolution and change management. EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Education (minimum required): PhD in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology or Biotechnology or similar field. Relevant postdoctoral experience would be an asset.
Should have minimum 3 years of experience in industrial mammalian cell line development.
Language: English (fluent written and spoken)
• Experience in cell culture process execution and development for protein production a plus.
• Cell line development and process experience in microbial systems also an asset.
• Experience in people management and project management in a matrix organization is required.
• Experience on multifunctional project teams is also a prerequisite.