The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organizations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany) and the outstations are in Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton (UK) and Monterotondo (Italy).
EMBL is looking for a Laboratory Animal Resource Manager for the Mouse Biology Unit in Monterotondo, near Rome, Italy.
The postholder will report to the Head of the Outstation and he/she will be in charge of:
• Managing the animal facility, including supervision of a team of animal husbandry technicians
• Maintaining facility equipment and overseeing its reliable operation
• Supervising and resolving animal care issues, including health control plan with dedicated Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
• Supervising and implementing standard operating procedures (SOPs) for importation and exportation of mice to/from the facility
• Assuring compliance with EU directives and national laws regarding animal welfare and act as the named Animal Care and Welfare Officer
• Overseeing waste handling to ensure that biohazard policies and procedures are followed
• Reviewing experimental protocols and coordinating operations with Laboratory Heads, the facility veterinarian and the Internal Animal Welfare Committee
• Training facility and research personnel in aspects of animal husbandry and handling
• Maintaining facility records, including those related to animal welfare, safety, personnel training, controlled pharmaca, facility access, and facility environment
• Managing the Phenotyping Facility