Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home of three Nobel laureates, is an independent, nonprofit research institution dedicated to the development and advancement of biomedical research to eliminate cancer and other potentially fatal diseases.
Recognized internationally for its pioneering work in bone-marrow transplantation, the Center's five scientific divisions collaborate to form a unique environment for conducting basic and applied science. The Hutchinson Center, in collaboration with its clinical and research partners, the University of Washington and Seattle Children's, is the only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center in the Pacific Northwest. Join us and make a difference!
Under the direction of the BBE Program Administrator and with the BBE Finance team, the Business Data Analyst is responsible for design, development, testing, maintenance and support of business analytics and reporting solutions for BBE. The analyst will be expected to use business intelligence applications to extract, manipulate, format, and present data stored in relational databases. Key functions will include developing analyses and reports using Tableau, Excel, or other data mining tools. Responsibilities also include identification of initiatives and improvement opportunities to achieve department goals and to promote fiscally sound decisions. This person will also assist in the preparation, consolidation, and distribution of budgets and related reports and preparation of interpretive reports.
This position has full responsibility to perform complex professional level tasks related to data analytics and reporting as well as budgeting and budget activities
- Work closely with the BBE Program Administrator and Finance team to develop financial systems, source data from disparate data sources and assemble complete data solutions.
- Serve as liaison to Center departments and Division leadership in the development and maintenance of business data systems.
- Assist with oversight of NonSponsored accounts, including monitoring budget expenditures to track budget use, spending pattern, and rate of spending.
- Provide expert and professional assistance and support to BBE Principal Investigators, management and staff on budget matters.
- Prepare reports associated with projects and studies including data retrieval/mining, reporting, analysis and auditing of reports for accuracy.
- Understand and document business processes, data entities, data producers and consumers and the data dependencies between various departments.
- Confer with business and technical partners to perform data analysis and data profiling.
- Identify data quality issues, develop data models and report specifications, and document enterprise data repositories and and repository relationships.
- Using knowledge of database design and coordinating with IT application analysts and database administrators, build and implement appropriate analytical tools, write simple queries in SQL, design basic databases, and solve technical problems.
- Develop knowledge of research funding data elements to distinguish and characterize critical elements for use in the data warehouse.
- Manage preparation and timely submission of Institutional Review Board, technical reports and contract deliverables.
- Perform high level, complex special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Services, Business Administration or related field and at least three years' relevant experience required.
- Master's degree in a related field is desired.
- 3+ years of experience as an IT data analyst (data mining and analytics, writing reports, extracting and validating data) and/or 3+ years of responsible, professional experience in budgeting, accounting, or related finance field.
- Demonstrated skill in working independently with databases to generate graphic and tabular reports, including building complex original queries, defining data elements, interpreting results, and documenting standard procedures for report designs.
- Solid understanding of relational database concepts and database architecture and design. Experience with relational databases and knowledge of query tools and/or statistical software.
- Expert level knowledge of MS Excel required. Knowledge of PostgreSQL, MSSQL, Access, Visio, and Tableau desired.
- Ability to research grant-related policies required, with an emphasis on strong analytical skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal, spoken, and written communication skills.
We are a VEVRRA Federal Contractor
To apply for this position, please CLICK HERE