HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology is a non-profit facility with the mission to use biotechnology and basic biological research to make important discoveries, improve human health, stimulate economic development and inspire young people to seek careers in science. Located in Cummings Research Park in Huntsville, Alabama, one of the world's leading science and technology business parks, the HudsonAlpha Institute houses state-of-the-art laboratories for biological research and development in the areas of genomics, genetics and personalized medicine over its large and open campus.
The Genomic Services Laboratory at HudsonAlpha is a central laboratory that supports the experimental needs of the HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology as well as projects from thousands of laboratories around the world. The lab supports a wide range of projects and technologies from basic research to clinical and translational projects. Utilizing a comprehensive suite of genomic and bioinformatics technologies, the Genomic Services Laboratory is a recognized leader in genomic technologies. Our areas of interest include rare and undiagnosed disease, pediatric and adult cancer, as well as neurological and degenerative diseases. The laboratory is a dynamic and fast-paced environment that offers access to the latest technologies and the ability to work with outstanding scientists from around the world. We are seeking to add several new members to our team in the areas of nucleic acid isolation, project management, sample preparation and sequencing operations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Senior Scientist is an independent position that is dedicated to the day-to-day laboratory research efforts, working directly toward laboratory objectives or in support of them. The Senior Scientist does not have the responsibility of securing funding or resourcing projects but does serve in a project management and leadership role. They are an immediately accessible resource for the laboratory staff in the absence or unavailability of the faculty investigator and actively contribute to the design and management of complex research projects. The Senior Scientist position is an ideal opportunity for recent graduates or experienced scientists wishing to develop or further their career in genomics or bioinformatics research.
- Contributes to original research under the guidance of Faculty Investigator
- Provides expertise in research program design, conduct and analysis
- Assists in the mentoring and teaching of research staff, including post-docs and graduate students
- Helps ensure that the research methods and ultimate work product are reflective of the highest scientific standards of integrity, quality and confidence
- Co-authors publication of research findings in high-quality scientific journals
- Exhibits deep curiosity and enthusiasm for discovery, encouraging and sustaining the laboratory team even in the case of unexpected setbacks; embraces the ever-changing scientific environment
- Other duties as assigned
- Doctoral degree from accredited institution in life sciences, biostatistics, or related field
- Extensive laboratory and research experience that introduces or enhances a unique research capability at HudsonAlpha
- Meticulous attention to detail, both in actual laboratory practice and in documentation
- A track record of high quality research work as evidenced by manuscripts published in top-tier journals
- Experience mentoring and teaching research staff, particularly post-docs and graduate students
- Ability to exercise judgment and distinguish issues that require involvement of faculty investigator
- Experience advising on research methodology and analysis , as well as ability to interpret laboratory results and provide conclusions
- Ability to understand protocols, clarify as needed, and perform protocols with consistency, as demonstrated through previous laboratory experience
- Demonstrated ability to advance projects, managing multiple tasks and priorities
- Proficiency with laboratory software, tools and equipment
- Ability to work some weekend hours to keep laboratory processes moving
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
The physical requirements and environmental conditions of this position consist primarily of:
- Sustained standing and/or sitting, depending on laboratory environment (wet lab or data analysis)
- Continuous mental and visual attention, requiring sustained attention and observation
- Ability to visually observe results and record outcomes via project software
It is the policy of HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology, in accordance with all applicable laws, to recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.