Job Position: Post Doctoral Researcher
Job Type: Full-time
The HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology (www.hudsonalpha.org) is a non-profit organization with the mission to use biotechnology and basic biological research to make important discoveries, improve human health, stimulate economic development, inspire young people to seek careers in science and teach members of the public the importance of science in their everyday lives. Located in Cummings Research Park in Huntsville, Alabama, one of the world's leading science and technology parks, HudsonAlpha's campus contains state-of-the-art laboratories for biological research and development, as well as education, in the areas of genomics, genetics and personalized medicine.
The Richard M. Myers laboratory develops and applies high throughput DNA sequencing analysis technologies to study the genetics and genomics of human biology and disease. Projects range from cancer research and neurological disorders to the ENCODE project.
Dr. Myers is President and Director of HudsonAlpha Institute. Prior to joining the Institute, Dr. Myers was chair of the department of genetics and director of the Stanford Human Genome Center. His experience leading large laboratories, together with his expertise in genomics and genetics, provides an opportunity for high-caliber research and professional development.
The Post Doctoral researcher contributes to scientific discovery with the objective of publishing original manuscripts in influential scientific journals. The Post Doc Researcher has the opportunity to utilize the state-of-the-art technologies and shared support services of HudsonAlpha while pursuing research interests that directly contribute to or enhance the ongoing projects of the Institute.
JOB SPECIFIC TASKS
The Post Doc:
- Conducts and contributes to original research under the guidance of Faculty Investigator
- Provides expertise in research program design, conduct and analysis
- Prepares manuscripts and co-authors papers for publication in high-quality journals
- Presents findings to the scientific community
- Assists in the mentoring and teaching of research staff
- Helps ensure that the research methods and ultimate work product are reflective of the highest scientific standards of integrity, quality and confidence
- Exhibits curiosity and enthusiasm for discovery; embraces the ever-changing scientific environment
- Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND REQUIRED SKILLS EXPERIENCE
- Doctoral degree from accredited institution in life sciences, biostatistics, or related field
- Extensive laboratory and research experience that introduces or enhances a unique research capability at HudsonAlpha
- A track record of high quality research work as evidenced by manuscript publication
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a highly collaborative environment
- Experience advising on research methodology and analysis , as well as ability to interpret laboratory results and provide conclusions
- Demonstrated ability to advance projects, managing multiple tasks and priorities
- Proficiency with laboratory software, tools and equipment
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors/Mental Functions
ADA Requirements The physical demands, work environment factors, and mental functions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Disclaimer - All job requirements are subject to possible revision to reflect changes in the position requirements or to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a threat or risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties which will be required in this position. Employees will be required to follow other job-related duties as requested by their supervisor/manager (within guidelines and compliance with Federal and State Laws). Continued employment remains on an "at-will" basis.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position (sit or stand) for prolonged periods (50% of the time).
- Frequently moving between work areas.
- Frequently moving, transporting, and positioning materials up to 30 pounds.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and depth perception.
- Frequent operation of common office equipment (e.g. computers, mobile devices, calculators, copiers, scanners) and laboratory equipment.
- Frequently position self (e.g. stoop, crouch, crawl, bend) and pull/push, grasp/squeeze, wrist flexion/extension, reach to operate and maintain laboratory equipment.
- Exposure to chemical, mechanical and electrical hazards, and hazardous physical substances and fumes, and airborne particles.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Continuous mental and visual attention, requiring sustained attention and observation.
- Excellent fine motor skills and hand control in order to pipette accurately.
- Ability to sustain focus during research procedures (to maintain protocol such as order of operations).
- Ability to visually observe results and record outcomes on lab logs and/or PC.
- Extensive documentation skills, good attention to detail, and exceptional organizational skills are required.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, in the English language.
- Requires the ability to adapt to change efficiently.
- Ability to independently lead and conduct research, and to evaluate, interpret and present complex scientific data.
- Capacity to work productively within functionally diverse teams as well as collaborate with external investigators and partners in academic and industrial settings.
- Ability to prioritize issues and use sound judgment to recognize when additional consultation and/or help is needed.
- Comfortable working on multiple projects at one time.
- Strong logical thinking and deduction skills.
- Ability to effectively present ideas and information in a variety of formats to a wide range of audiences.
- Positive, flexible, and professional attitude.
It is the policy of HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology, in accordance with all applicable laws, to recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.