The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organizations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany) and the outstations are in Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton (UK) and Monterotondo (Italy).
EMBL is looking for a Head of Transgenic Facility at the Mouse Biology Unit in Monterotondo, near Rome, Italy.
The postholder will report to the Head of the Outstation and he/she will be in charge of:
• Operation of the transgenic and mutagenesis facility, involving the generation of transgenic mice and mouse mutants for internal and external users. Genome engineering techniques used include microinjection of DNA (including large constructs), CRISPR/Cas9 and Talens approaches, and generation of chimera from targeted ES cells by injection into the morula and blastocyst stages.
• Organisation and supervision of breeding colonies of wild-type and mutant mice necessary for the work of the transgenic service under standard operating procedures.
• Supervision and implementation of protocols for the importation/quarantine of animals and establishment where necessary of a Specific Pathogen Free (SPF) barrier area involving embryo re-derivation.
• Management of a team of transgenic facility personnel in the area of animal husbandry, microinjection, surgery, ES cell culture, and related embryology and molecular biology techniques.
• Maintenance and updating of the online transgenic database for tracking work at the facility and the support of internal and external users.
• Conservation of mouse stocks by embryo and sperm cryopreservation.
• Application of IVF procedures for the rederivation of mouse lines from cryopreserved sperm
• Use of intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) for the establishment of large construct transgenic mouse lines and the recovery of senescent and/or infertile mouse lines.
• Establishment and coordination of training activities both internal and external to EMBL in the area of transgenesis.