Head of Scientific Affairs
The Head of Scientific Affairs will lead and/or assist in the initiation and conduct of a wide spectrum of Scientific Affairs activities at the Company.
This is a green pasture opportunity. We are looking for a seasoned professional who can be an individual contributor at first and build out a global scientific affairs function in the future.
Graduate, post-graduate, or industry experience in Oncology, Molecular Diagnostics, and/or Veterinary Medicine preferred. Industry experience preferred, ideally in Scientific Affairs, Medical Affairs, or Clinical Development roles. Management experience preferred, as this executive will be expected to build and lead a global team of Veterinary Science Liaisons in future years.
This executive will be expected to interface effectively with the Research & Development, Clinical Studies, Business Development, Sales & Marketing, and other core functions at the Company. This executive will be expected to interface effectively with external parties, including veterinary clinicians and researchers, translational oncology experts, continuing education (CE) providers, professional veterinary organizations, advisory boards, veterinary insurers, and regulatory authorities.
Who we are:
The Company is a San Diego based genomics/molecular diagnostics startup focused on the development of advanced non-invasive tests for the early detection and management of cancer in pets with an initial focus in dogs. We are a team of highly experienced physician-scientists, veterinarians, and life science executives aiming to revolutionize the field of veterinary oncology.
The Company’s founding team and advisors include more than a dozen former senior executives from Illumina, Sequenom, PGDx, LabCorp, Pathway Genomics, J&J, and Petco. Most of them hold MD, PhD, DVM, or MBA degrees, and have been affiliated with prestigious academic institutions including Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, MIT, UCSF, Johns Hopkins, University of Michigan, UC Berkeley, UCSD, and the University of Oxford.
- Develop and/or review materials (e.g., publications, presentations, abstracts), ensuring clinical-scientific accuracy and fair balance.
- Manage the publication process (selecting suitable peer-reviewed journals for publications, coordinating with co-authors and editors).
- Facilitate peer-to-peer exchanges of clinical-scientific information with veterinary clinicians and researchers.
- Conduct research (scientific literature reviews, clinical user interviews and surveys, public and private databases, etc.) to inform the product development process and the clinical study design process.
- Establish and maintain relationships with professional veterinary organizations, veterinary and translational research institutions, veterinary hospital networks, veterinary clinics, key opinion leaders (KOLs), and subject-matter experts (SMEs).
- Support the development and deployment of educational programs, including accredited/approved CE programs.
- Champion interactions with professional organizations leading to improvements in clinical practice guidelines.
- Provide clinical-scientific expertise pertaining to the company’s technology and clinical value propositions at internal and external events.
- Gather competitive intelligence and stay abreast of external developments pertaining to current and potential applications of the company’s technologies.
- Organize and manage Scientific advisory boards and clinical speaker bureaus; manage Investigator Initiated Studies; support company-sponsored clinical studies.
- Support internal training efforts (e.g., of Sales and Marketing, or Customer Support) pertaining to scientific and clinical features of the Company’s products.
- Respond to clinical-scientific inquiries from internal and external parties.
- Perform Scientific reviews of outward-facing materials pertaining to research and clinical uses of the company’s technologies.
- Investigate and respond to potential safety issues for the company’s marketed products; inform the due diligence process for business development activities, from scientific and clinical intelligence perspectives.
- Manage projects to planned budgets and timelines.
- In the future, build and manage a global team of veterinary science liaisons, including hiring, development, and performance evaluation of staff to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the team.
- Manage external consultants and contractors, as appropriate; create and implement departmental procedures.
- Ensure compliance with best practices and guidelines governing Scientific Affairs activities.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
- This position will require a doctoral-level degree in the Life Sciences or Health Sciences: PhD, DPhil, DVM, MD, DO, or similar.
• Minimum 3 years of functional experience in Scientific or Medical Affairs highly preferred; similar experience in industry or academia will be considered.
• Demonstrated experience with leading the drafting and publication of peer-reviewed clinical studies and case studies, in molecular diagnostics and/or oncology; authorship or co-authorship of at least five peer-reviewed publications highly preferred.
• Excellent attention to detail
• Strong budget management skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Excellent command of English (spoken and written)
• Excellent communication skills, including demonstrated ability to present effectively to scientific audiences
• Ability to articulate complex scientific concepts in person and in group settings
• Strong multi-tasking, prioritization, and organizational skills
• Sound work ethic and ability to project a positive attitude
• Ability to work in a team; a strong team player
• Ability to also work independently; a self-starter
• Ability to quickly absorb new and complex knowledge, and to synthesize large amounts of data from clinical studies
• Versatile disposition, suitable for a rapidly growing and fast-changing startup environment
- Must be willing to relocate to San Diego
- The position will require 50-70% travel
- Equity grants
- Salary compensation with significant bonus potential in future years
- Comprehensive health and wellness benefits package
The Company believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to notify us in your introductory application or email correspondence.
Please note: The Company does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.